Author Topic: Birth?Bapt look-up please George CLARKE cir 1835  (Read 1447 times)

Offline jillikins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth?Bapt look-up please George CLARKE cir 1835
« on: Saturday 20 January 07 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
                 I would like a look-up for the birth of my husband's g.g.g/father, George CLARKE please. This is on his attestation paper

Born in the Parish of St. Helier, near the town of St. Helier, in the County of the Island of Jersey. His birth would be Cir. 1835. his father was William, and his mothers name in unknown. George was in the Army and Railway in India in later years. I've been unable to find his birth anywhere, and would appreciate some help with a look-up please? He attested for the royal regiment of Artillery, Warley, Essex , in 1858 .
Many thanks for any help you can give me,
Jill, Brisbane.
Staffordshire:- GLOVER, FOX, STANLEY,SHORT,PROSSER,BASSANO
India:- CLARKE, GLOVER, BLINKWORTH, JOPLIN, SMALL, DENNISON,HILLIARD
Australia:- ORR, MCWILLIAM
Ireland, Armagh:- MCWILLIAM, RUSSELL
Ireland:- SMALL
ENGLAND:- James Augustus BROOKES

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Birth?Bapt look-up please George CLARKE cir 1835
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 January 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Jill -

I have checked the index of baptisms in St Helier parish church for this period, and the only feasible one I can find is:

bapt  1.3.1835  Wm   son of Wm Clarke and Catherine Gibson (his wife) 
page 62
The godparents were Matth. and Jane Denziloe.

Is it possible he might have used a different forename after his baptism, for example to distinguish him from his father? 

Interestingly, there is an Alfred Denziloe (born in Dorset) running a small school in 1841 and 1851 censuses, St Helier, with a William Clark as a boarder. 

In the 1841 CI census (online at http://members.shaw.ca/jerseymaid/index.html ) the only William Clark(e) with a son in the right age range is:

William Clark  25 joiner E[ngland]
Maria 25 Ind E[ngalnd]
William 3 Y  [Yes - born in Jersey]
Emma 1 E[ngland]

I can't find any George son of William Clark(e) in Jersey 1841.

These are very speculative - but I thought I would mention them.

Mike
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline jillikins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mike,
                Thanks you for your reply, and also the look-ups, it's much appreciated. You could be right about  William using the name George to distinguish him from his father. George could be his middle name. He is quite a brick wall for me, he is a direct line for my husband, and I'd love to find out who his parents were?
        Would you know if perhaps his parents were holidaying, or on leave from the Army, and staying on Jersey for awhile, or for the birth. If George was born to parents who were on a passing ship, which docked for supplies say, and his mother gave birth on Jersey, would he be registered there, or possibly as a birth at sea? I'm not sure where to look next.
              Thank you for your help. I'll make a note of that census of 1841/51, might come in handy later.
Cheers,
Jill, Brisbane.

Offline Mike E

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 22:12 GMT (UK) »
      Would you know if perhaps his parents were holidaying, or on leave from the Army, and staying on Jersey for awhile, or for the birth.

Hi Jill -
It is difficult to say if or why George's parents might be in Jersey.  During that time there was a lot of immigration to the island from the UK - after 1815 many naval and military officers, struggling on half-pay at the end of the Napoleonic war, found life less expensive on the island; there were improved travel links with the UK (due to extension of the railways and better new steam ships) and there was an economic boom due to ship building and trade from Jersey.   Holidaying was not a big thing at that time.
Mike
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline jillikins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 February 07 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
        Thanks for that reply, and info. I wonder if you could hazard a guess as to why George should give St. Helier as his birth place, if it wasn't? I'm wondering if perhaps he was named William but called George, as you suggested? Do you have a folio number for that birth? Would the LDS's have it recorded, or would I need to get it from the Jersey Record Office.
          Thanks once again for your input.
Cheers,
Jill

Offline Mike E

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 07 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
        Thanks for that reply, and info. I wonder if you could hazard a guess as to why George should give St. Helier as his birth place, if it wasn't? I'm wondering if perhaps he was named William but called George, as you suggested? Do you have a folio number for that birth? Would the LDS's have it recorded, or would I need to get it from the Jersey Record Office.

Jill -

The William Clark referred to above, aged 3 yrs in 1841,  was born in St Helier.

The census reference is
St. Helier, Jersey 1841 Census
Film 0464353 Piece H.O. 107 1461
District 22
Folio 21 Page 36
Garden Lane

You can get a copy of his birth certificate from the Jersey registrar's office, but I will need to look up the birth reference for you first.

Mike

Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline jillikins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 07 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,
     I don't think that William CLARKE b.1838 is mine, it seems from the records I have of "George" CLARKE, who I am looking for,that he would be born cir 1835,or before, but not as late as 1838. But I will keep the details in mind, for later research.I'm hoping to have George's will soon, perhaps that will give me a few more clues.
      Thank you very much for your help, and offer of finding William's birth ref. no.
Cheers,
Jill
Brisbane.