Author Topic: Family rumours have they turned out to be true?  (Read 80324 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Family rumours have they turned out to be true?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 07 April 06 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladybird,

Unfortunately don't know anything about lists of policemen, but my Gt Gt Grandmother's brother (my Gt Gt Uncle I suppose that makes him!) was involved in the Sidney Street Seige, in fact if I remember correctly he was the policeman in charge of the situation! Unfortunately I found this out from distant rellies so don't know how to find out, unless there's anything at the National archives!

Regards,

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 07 April 06 13:35 BST (UK) »
I also thought we were descended from Robert Burns. No luck yet!!!

Our family also has the rumour that we were descended from Robbie Burns - and it's looking good -well, sorta OK - oh well - possibly maybe likely - well, someone's name was Burns/Burness and they do appear on Robbie Burns tree - under the heading of NOT PROVED - darn!!

I have found that there is a small element of truth in each family rumour - you just have to prove which part is the truth  ???
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 07 April 06 14:33 BST (UK) »

My family rumour had it that one lot were lacemakers to the King from Nottingham.
All I've found are a whole lot of upholsterers! :D :D :D

But ... there's something there, or why else would our only heirloom be a rather tacky Victorian (I think) painting of the family crest? (See avatar.) However, I have decided that one of that line, who was a bit of an opportunist, had it painted to impress fellow colonists out in NZ!

:)
Koromo
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 07 April 06 14:50 BST (UK) »
Family crests eh?  My dad is convinced that a particular Phillips crest is "our" family crest.  I must have told him 100 times that so far there is no proof we're even remotely connected to any armorial Phillips family, and even if we were it wouldn't have to mean we were entitled to that crest - but will the old sweetheart listen?  No, in case you were wondering!   ;D
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 07 April 06 15:02 BST (UK) »
 When I first started family research, I was told by two
aunts that their Irish g.grandfather was a wealthy saddle
- harness maker.

Found him on the 1851 census - rag + bone gatherer!

Jackie.
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 08 April 06 02:10 BST (UK) »
As you all have said, I have been able to somewhat prove all those family stories. Some were a bit of an exaggeration andothers it was untangling which family members actually were part of the story.

My grandma always said the family farmed land in Central Park in New York City.  Well, 5 years of hunting and the last family line I thought it would be, I found she was correct, they owned a farm over looking the place that was to be Central Park.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 08 April 06 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

My family rumour was that somewhat had shot someone's lover and then gone to Australia - which I have just the other day proved to be correct!!

My Aunt had an affair - told her husband who went round to the bloke and fired 16 bullets into him - killed him of course!!
Got away with 5 years and then they both left for Oz 10 years later - 1937-1947 era
Even got a cheap trip out there - wonder if they asked about his passed record - or cared?

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 08 April 06 15:31 BST (UK) »
I contstantly wrack my brains trying to remember things that my Gran told me about her family - everything so far has turned out to be true.
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 09 April 06 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks DavidJP
I've googled furiously on  the Sidney St seige and read everything there is to read, but like you have found no lists of those involved.
A pity really, would have been nice to have "someone" in the family..sort of..famous  ;D
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk