Author Topic: Which of your ancestors have disappeared?  (Read 75608 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which of your ancestors have disappeared?
« Reply #261 on: Monday 06 March 17 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have one that just disappears.    Caroline Mary Beagley born March Q 1895.     1901 census at home Phoenix Green, Hartley Whitney name shown as "Cassie", 1911 census name shown as C M.   Then nothing no marriage, no death, no 1939 register, no immigration aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.    I have traced all her siblings but not her.     She is my Grandmothers sister.

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Monday 06 March 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I too live in hopes that a record of the demise of my father's brother-in-law will be published sooner rather than later.

His name was Charles Armit Masson who had served during the Great War, then married my aunt in Lanarkshire. The family story is that during WWII as he had naval and medical experience he decided to "do his bit" and signed on - apparently as a Cook (?). I might have got it wrong but I believe he signed on in the Merchant Navy not the Royal Navy. He perished on a North Atlantic Convoy run.

Here's a 1921 potted history of him:-  https://www.abdn.ac.uk/library/roll-of-honour/3934/

There is a newspaper article for Dr Charles Armit Masson age 44 in the Dundee Courier on the 11 June 1929, the article is on FindMyPast, he was sadly found dead in a London Hotel.  I kind of hope this is not your man, but it certainly seems to fit, the article even includes that he saw active service in Salonica, which was mentioned in the 1921 potted history.

Regards, Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »
I too live in hopes that a record of the demise of my father's brother-in-law will be published sooner rather than later.

His name was Charles Armit Masson who had served during the Great War, then married my aunt in Lanarkshire. The family story is that during WWII as he had naval and medical experience he decided to "do his bit" and signed on - apparently as a Cook (?). I might have got it wrong but I believe he signed on in the Merchant Navy not the Royal Navy. He perished on a North Atlantic Convoy run.

Here's a 1921 potted history of him:-  https://www.abdn.ac.uk/library/roll-of-honour/3934/

There is a newspaper article for Dr Charles Armit Masson age 44 in the Dundee Courier on the 11 June 1929, the article is on FindMyPast, he was sadly found dead in a London Hotel.  I kind of hope this is not your man, but it certainly seems to fit, the article even includes that he saw active service in Salonica, which was mentioned in the 1921 potted history.

Regards, Kath

I really appreciate your interest Kath.  Thank you so much for this information; born 1885 with that history, he's definitely mine.  Thank goodness you solved the puzzle.  I'd been given the name of the ship he sailed on by an older cousin but was puzzled that although it had been hit by enemy fire during WWII it hadn't sunk and it was never part of the Atlantic convoys but had historically always been used on the Mediterranean run. 

What I think has happened is that two stories have been merged into one and possibly the death that (might have) occurred in the Atlantic convoy was a relation of my Leith born grandmother whose family were mostly sailors.

Once again - thank you, I'm much obliged.
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Kathryn_H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Thursday 19 May 22 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have one that just disappears.    Caroline Mary Beagley born March Q 1895.     1901 census at home Phoenix Green, Hartley Whitney name shown as "Cassie", 1911 census name shown as C M.   Then nothing no marriage, no death, no 1939 register, no immigration aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.    I have traced all her siblings but not her.     She is my Grandmothers sister.

I think Caroline Mary Beagley was my Grandmother. She married my Grandfather Clarence Burden under the name of Kathleen M Beagley in Wombwell , South Yorkshire. They had 3 children Dorothy, Elizabeth (Betty) and Charles. We've been tracing the family tree for a number for years but hit a brick wall with her details as she admitted on her deathbed that she had married under a false name. We were led to believe she was estranged from her family. Fathers name had been transcribed as EVAN on Marriage certificate but the copy of the original shows his name was Esau and was a carpenter which has led us to your post.

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Friday 27 May 22 14:32 BST (UK) »
My 4x great-grandfather George McMillan. Born in 1828 in Muirkirk, Ayrshire, and married my 4x great-grandmother Dorothy Gray in 1854 in Glasgow. They had at least four children; George in 1855 (died shortly after birth), another George in 1859 (my 3x great-grandfather), Mary in 1861, and finally Robert in 1864.

Then Dorothy remarries to James Littlejohn in 1866 and the marriage record says that she is a widow.

So my ancestor George died sometime between the birth of his son Robert in 1864 and the remarriage of Dorothy in 1866.

I've done a fairly exhaustive search (keeping in mind that George McMillan is a very common name) on ScotlandsPeople for a death record and nothing has turned up.

I'm considering the possibility that he wasn't actually dead when Dorothy got remarried and that he may have deserted her or done something else to make her want to say that he was dead.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire