Author Topic: Ideas please!  (Read 4693 times)

Offline FWaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ideas please!
« on: Tuesday 23 January 07 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I'm in the process of putting together a Family History Box for my nephew, Nathan who will be one in February.  The idea is to have letters, photos etc that his parents can keep for him when his is olderl

Inside the box will be a booklet made up of letters from family and friends to tell him something about their lives now (I've contacted 35 people who all showed interest in contributing - just waiting for the letters to arrive).  I'm also including a DVD my father recorded as he can't write very well, and photos of my grandparents (Nathan's great grandparents), a chart showing Nathan's direct ancestors (the full family tree is too wide over too many sheets of paper).

Nathan's mother is Dutch and so the letters will be in both English and Dutch which should make for an interesting and unique heirloom. 

I'm struggling however for other ideas of what to put in.  The box is not that big, about 12" x 7", so things like newspapers are out of the question.  Sadly while my sister-in-law's family and all their friends have really taken to the idea, my mother has been less than enthousiastic (to the point of totally uncooperative!).  Like me she loves handicrafts and normally I would have discussed this with her to try to come up with ideas.

Can anyone give me any tips?  They would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Fiona
Waters - Hull, Edinburgh(Leith), Glasgow
Hazard - Hull, Lincoln
Whitbread - Lincoln, Buckinghamshire
Hutchison - Edinburgh, Glasgow

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas please!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Fiona,

What a lovely idea. I am sorry your mother is so uncooperative. Although, I do know how that goes. I have many uncooperative relatives and I don't understand why. In fact, one cousin just told me last week that she has no interest in any of the research. She said maybe she'd like to see the completed project, but no interest in the process, as I had asked her to join me at a cemetery close to her home where tons of our relatives are buried.

Anyway, could you scan some relevant newspaper articles in and include a CD in the box? I think the DVD is wonderful. I would love for my kids to actually be able to see and hear my dad now that he is gone.

Good luck with this and note you are setting a precedent for future nieces and nephews.  ::)

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline FWaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Kath, what a great idea!  I'm sure I could find quite a few things to scan to a CD, or even to a USB Memory stick - birth certificates, newpaper articles, etc.
Thank you! 

Glad you like the idea.  I've got another 'box' to do once this one is complete for my other half's youngest granddaughter, born two weeks after my nephew!  I'm a glutton for punishment.

Fiona
Hazard - Hull, Lincoln

Offline FWaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Does no-one else have any ideas?

I really would appreciate some feedback on this - even just to let me know whether you think it is a good idea or not?

Many thanks

Fiona
Hazard - Hull, Lincoln

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona -

Doesn't sound like punishment ..... It will be a gift of love.

Sounds like a great idea.

I really like the idea of a CD with birth certs, announcements and the like. With so little space you may not be able to include much after receipt of the letters etc.

What about a CD containing Dutch customs? Or a DVD from the Dutch side of the family?  Or even a small tape recording from everyone who sent letters wishing him a happy 1st birthday?

Let us know what you decide.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona
You mentioned that you enjoy handicrafts - have you thought about embroidering him an old fashioned sampler but with a modern day slant on it?  It would be a very personal gift and show a lot of love that has gone into the making also give an indication of what kinds of skills you have.  It could provide a mix of old and new ideas.

Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline FWaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi yn9man and sallysmum

Thank you for your ideas - I'm working on the CD idea definitely.  Wish I had the means to do a dvd like my father did, but we don't have the facility and he lives too far away.

As for a sampler I stitched a birth one last year and don't have the time (10 days only) to make another for his first birthday.

I'm also thinking of putting in amap of the village his father and I grew up in with some pictures and a little about the place - particularly important would be the pub his father frequented with his friends!

Thanks again
Fiona
Hazard - Hull, Lincoln

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Some of the threads mentioned in this collection may give you further ideas

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,158638.0.html

link now made visible  :-[

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I love the pub idea. Very funny.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA