Author Topic: WATKINS in Dolgellau from 1875  (Read 2057 times)

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WATKINS in Dolgellau from 1875
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace the family of Thomas Beavan WATKINS who were living in Dolgellau from about 1875. It is not a common name in the county, and most of those in the Dolgelly district are from this family. 
I have found them on the 1881 and 1891 Censuses, and found 5 of the daughters (Gwladys DAVIES, Caroline JONES, Celia WATKINS, Sarah Ann LLOYD and Jane WATKINS) in the 1901 Census, but not the rest of the family. I think that Thomas died in 1897. I have been unable to find his widow Ann (born circa 1840 somewhere in CAE), and daughters Annie LLOYD (born circa 1875, wife of William) and Diana Bevan JONES (born circa 1879, wife of Edwin). All of the daughters married in the Dolgellau district.
Could I have a look-up on these names please?
Thanks
Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF
Ireland: Culhane Limerick; Doolan Clare
Wales: Lewis BRE/DEN, Jones Eglwysbach DEN

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WATKINS in Dolgellau from 1875
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 16:14 GMT (UK) »
If you have Ancestry you can find Diana by looking for:

Edwin Jones (with wife Deana) born 1867  Forden, Monmouthshire, Wales in  Brithdir and Islawrdref  Merionethshire.

If you don't have Ancestry let me know and I'll transcribe the record for you

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Watkins and Anne his wife are buried in the Church annex graveyard

D16
In loving memory of Thomas M Watkins
Penmaenpool near Dolgelley
who departed this life Feb 14 1897
Aged 51 years
Days and moments quickly flying
Speed over us onward to the dead
Oh how soon shall we be flying
Each within his narrow bed.

Also his beloved wife
Anne Watkins
Who fell asleep in Jesus May 6 1908
Aged 64 years
Thou which hast showed me great and sore
troubles shall quicken me again, and shalt
bring me up again from the deapths of the
earth
Psalm 71:20

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Annie Lloyd, husband William and son Thomas are boarding at 23 Glan y Bwll road Ffestiniog (Festiniog according to Ancestry) RG13/5258 Folio 65 Page 49

Again, if you don't have access to Ancestry let me know and I'll transcribe the entry for you.

Although it's clear from her grave details that she was still living in 1901, I have failed to find Mrs Anne Watkins

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 07 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much,
I don't have ancestry, so the transcription would be much appreciated. If Deana JONES was born in Monmouthshire, I'm afraid that she isn't the one that I'm looking for; BUT I realise that you may have been refering to Edwin as born in MON.
Do you think that it is significant that Thomas's headstone has the wrong middle initial? and that he is stated to be younger than he actually was? I don't know of another man of that name living in the area during that time.
Thomas Beavan WATKINS jnr died in 1881. If your records cover that period, would you please check to see if there was a burial in Dolgellau for him?
Thanks very much
Regards
Sandra
England: Brown Kingscliffe NTH, Ellis Balsall WAR, Lewis Hereford HEF, Oliver Morpeth NBL, Wall Coventry/Balsall WAR, Watkins Eardisley/Clifford HEF

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 07 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for any confusion, it is Edwin who was born in Forden, and Forden is actually in Montgomeryshire, but ancestry have mistranscribed this as Monmouthshire - the details that I gave were the ones that would enable you to find him on Ancestry.

This is a transcription of the original image:

RG13/5255 Folio 8 Page 5 Schedule 26
Minffordd Penmaenpool
Edwin Jones, Head Married, 34 Railway Gang Lab Workman, Montgomeryshire, Forden, English
Diana Jones, Wife, 22, Merioneth, Dolgelley, Both
J Thomas Jones Son 1 Merioneth, Dolgelley
Price Jones nephew 4 Montgomeryshire, Forden, English

Two doors down from Edwin and Diana, on the same census page there is a William Watkins, a coachman at Penmaen Hall -would you like the details of him and his family too?

Here are William and Annie' details:
 RG13/5258 Folio 65 Page 49 Schedule 311 W (the W notes that the details were translated from Welsh by the enumerator)

William Lloyd Border Married 28 Railway Signalman Worker, Denbighshire Ruabon Both
Annie Lloyd Border's wife Married 25 Merioneth Dolgelley both
Thomas F Lloyd Border's Son 4 Merioneth Dolgelley both.

I haven't seen Thomas and Anne Watkins' grave stone the details are taken from a cemetery transcription project publication, so the discrepancies might have been caused by a transcription error or a worn stone. Watkins is such an uncommon name in the area it is highly unlikely that this is the grave a different Thomas and Anne Watkins (Although the transcription has Thomas M Watkins, the index has him as Thomas B Watkins).

I don't have a burial record for Thomas Jr sorry.

Offline slewi4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 January 07 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Once again, Thanks very much.
In the 1891 Census a few doors down from Thomas, there was a William WATKINS coachman and gardener from Abererch CAE. He is probably the same one that you have found in the 1901 Census. I don't think that he is related, but thank you for the offer.
Regards
Sandra