Author Topic: Help with death  (Read 3296 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with death
« on: Thursday 25 January 07 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find a death but no success on ScotlandsPeople. It's for a Margaret Anderson Brown, born 1840, Spott. First son in 1862 when she was unmarried. She then marries William Wilson in 1868. She has a daughter with William in 1873. I have her on the 1881 census in Dunbar and on her son's 1888 marriage cert., she's still alive. On his death in 1929, she's listed as deceased. I have found one on ScotlandsPeople (sorry, can't check specifics, trust the site to be down when I'm writing ::)) but it's not the correct one. I would be grateful for any help.  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help with death
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hume

She looks to have gone walkabout outside the county. I assume you meant this entry for Margaret:

1913   WILSON   MARGARET/ BROWN   F   70   PENCAITLAND   /EAST LOTHIAN   716/00 0003

And I've looked at this one:

1915   WILSON   MARGARET/ BROWN   F   74   CANONGATE   EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN   685/03 0146......married to a Thomas Wilson.

There are another 6 entries with a birth year 1840 +/- 3 years (Glasgow 2/Hamilton/Ayr/Dundee/Roxburgh).

Have you managed to trace what happened to William Wilson husband or daughter to maybe get some idea as to where else she could be/have died?

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 07 16:36 GMT (UK) »
That's the 1913 one I found but it's to a David Wilson. Wrong parents also.

I'm really not sure where she could be. In 1881, she's still living in Dunbar but after that, nothing. I'll probably need to try and find them in 1891 and 1901.  :)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 07 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Good news, Monica, I think I have found William's death in 1908. It's in Dunbar and he's listed as the widower of Margaret. It was registered by his son, also William so that would suggest the family stayed in-county.  :) In everything else, he's listed as a general labourer but he's now referred to as "Pensioner of regiment". Is there anymore details I could get?

I thought I had found her death using SP's new "mother's maiden name" feature but it was an 1850s death in Fife.  ;D Dashed my thoughts of it being a good thing.

Added: I've found the family in 1891 and Margaret is still alive, claiming she's 40, when in 1881, she was only 38. ::) Going to try and find them on 1901 now.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 07 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I thought this deserved its own post. Found Margaret's death in 1903. Other surnames? Guthrie (after her mother's maiden name) and Black (after her mother's married name)

I've adjusted my post a bit as I just realised my great-great-grandfather lost his mother, grandmother, son and daughter all in the same year.  :( My great-grandmother was born in that year though so I can only think she was a blessing for the family.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 07 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Well done hume  :) Sheer hard work and effort on that one!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk