Author Topic: Melbourne Market Gardeners  (Read 25518 times)

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne Market Gardeners
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys

I'm a bit confused as the dates I have don't tally - your message mentions the 1891 census but...

according to the info I was given he married Mary (Langridge)  07/04/1861

and they had 4 children

Emily, Edward, George and Arthur

I was told William and Fanny's mother was Sarah Joines and that Dorothy (Bowler) didn't have any children but according to what you have mentioned above there are other children

Sarah, Ada and Thomas

As Sarah comes between William and Fanny we should be safe to assume that her mother is also Sarah Joines - If what I was told is correct.
Ada and Thomas come after George so they would be from Mary (as I said I also have Arthur born c1870)
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline ernestly searching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 19 February 09 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Miggins

You are correct (if I had read all of what my cousin sent me instead of missing a page I would have realised!).

Dorothy Dawson died in 1860.

The 1901 census reads as follows:

William Dawson 53 
Mary Dawson 51 
George Dawson 20 
Ada Dawson 18 
Thomas Dawson 14 
Mary Underwood 8 

The family are still residing in Marples Yard at this point.  Which of these offspring are you descended from?

Ernest

Smith, Horsley, Dawson, Toon (of Melbourne, Derbys)
Tilson or Tillson, and Winfield (of Melbourne and Castle Donnington area)
Pinnick (Essex)
Benner (Lincs)
Harris (Deepings)
Wheeldon (Derbys)
Morley (Notts)

Offline miggins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 20 February 09 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi BoaMan and ernestly searching

I've done some quick research into the Dawson's and it appears to run as follows (this info. from freebmd):-

George Dawson m. Sarah Joins - Registered Shardlow Sept. 1843 Vol.19 page 451.
2nd marriage to Dorothy Bowler - Registered Shardlow Sept. 1850 Vol. 19 page 629
3rd marriage to Mary Ann Langridge - Registered Shardlow June 1861 Vol.7b page 541.

George and Sarah had William Dawson (my gggf) and from the latest info. from earnestly searching they also had Fanny.

William Dawson (my gggf) married Mary Underwood 16th Oct. 1871.   Their children were:-

William                b. abt. 1874
Sarah Ann           b. abt. 1876 (my ggm) m. Saurin Thoms Briers
Fanny                  b. abt. 1878
George                b. abt. 1880
Ada                      b. abt. 1883
Thomas               b.  abt. 1887

On the 1881 Census they had living with them a step-son called Charles Underwood aged 15 (b. abt. 1866) and a step-daughter called Jane Underwood aged 8 (b. abt. 1870/1).

Just in passing the Dawson men were mostly working as Brickyard Labourers.  The Brick Kilns were at Derby Hills, Melbourne Common and the Brickyard was at Moira Street.

Ashmore, Kings Newton, Derbyshire. Briers, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Beardsley, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Dawson, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Poxon, Melbourne, Derbyshire.
Bartlett, Evershot, Dorset. Honeybun, Broadwindsor, Dorset. Cleal, Dorset. Wills, Somerset/Dorset.
Loud, Devon/Dorset. Gillett, Dorset. Withers, Berkshire.

Offline BoaMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 13 April 09 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys sorry I've not done this earlier but been very busy and only got round to scanning this on Saturday - I've not had a chance to clean it up yet but thought I'd post it all the same.

These are cropped from 2 pictures that appeared in the Burton Observer on the 14th July 1932

The caption reads... THE MELBOURNE STRAWBERRY SEASON is now in full swing, and the rain, which came at the right moment, has resulted in a good crop - although it's a fortnight late. The picture on the left is of a veteran of the gardens. He has been in the strawberry-raising business for 40 years. On the right, pickers are seen at work.

Unfortunately for us - the paper doesn't name any of them - If any of you can identify these 4 gentlemen It would be great - maybe they are members of our families.
Jackson
Laxton
Middleton
Gilbert
Bloor
Sutton
Hartshorne, Derbyshire
Melbourne, Derbyshire
Church Gresley
Swadlincote

Offline MFH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 17 July 09 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I just happened to find your correspondence the other day, so thought I would let you know that there is a Horsley still about. Are there any more male with Horsley surname  from our famliy going back to James Horsley and Mary, nee Pass? I notice that Boaman, you said you have lots of ancestry around Horsley family, and possibly Pass? I would be interested to find out more. I am very lucky to have quite a lot of information from Richard Osborne's book, but there doesn't seem to be any more information about James and Mary, or about Mary's Pass family - did she come from Melbourne? - do you have any earlier family history?

As well as market gardening, my family kept the Lamb Inn at one time, and their major businesses in the second half of the 19th century were in transport. I expect they were carrying veg etc. into markets at Derby and other places. In trhe 1870s my great grandfather, Frank, was based in Derby. He was killed in central Derby in 1880 in a road accident.

Offline ernestly searching

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 18 July 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi MFH

I too am related to the Horsleys.  William Horsley who kept the Lamb was my ggg grandfather. 

I don't know if you were aware, as this isn't in Richard Osborne's book, but apparently William married Sarah Sutton.  A distant cousin found this out, and this was my initial conversation with Boaman as his Suttons are of the same line we think!
Smith, Horsley, Dawson, Toon (of Melbourne, Derbys)
Tilson or Tillson, and Winfield (of Melbourne and Castle Donnington area)
Pinnick (Essex)
Benner (Lincs)
Harris (Deepings)
Wheeldon (Derbys)
Morley (Notts)

Offline Bluegrass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Some of my ancestors were also Market Gardeners in Melbourne.  My G.G.Grandmother Beardsley owned a Garden in Cockshute Lane and I may have links with the Jackson family as in 1882 Maria Beardsley married Harry Jackson, son of Edmund Jackson who was also a Market Gardener.

My mother says they grew most veg. inc. celery.  As a young girl she said the smell in the tying houses was lovely and bunches of spring onions, radishes etc. were tied with raffia.   Her Grandmother, Mary Beardsley, was said to be the fastest bunch tier in Melbourne!!!   Another Beardsley had a Market Garden in Bolton Lane, Derby.

Don't know if this is of any help.

My father was born in 1923 at North Street Melbourne. His mother was Martha Jackson and her father was a market gardener. I guess that Harry Jackson would be her father. Perhaps in those days Martha would have gone back to her parents home to give birth. I have heard my father talk about an Auntie Ada and wonder if this was Martha's sister.

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 23 July 09 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone!

MFH - I have that Mary Pass' was born 10 May 1731 in Melbourne to parents Thomas Pass and Mary Holmes who married 27 November1726 in Melbourne;  She married James Horsely 29 June 1760 in Melbourne and died in 1780 Mebourne.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Jan :-*
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline miggins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 24 July 09 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Bluegrass

I have the marriage cert. of Harry Jackson dated 27.12.1882 - he married Maria Beardsley.  Harry's father was Edmund Jackson and his wife was Fanny (don't know her maiden name).   Maria's father was Joseph Beardsley and his wife was Sarah Elizabeth (Barber - Ithink).   Unfortunately, Maria died on 24.12.1888 at Quick Close from TB.   I'm not sure if they had any children before Maria died but I should imagine they probably did.    My mother certainly remembers Ada Jackson being mentioned as a relative.   Do you know the name of your father's Grandmother(?) - it is possible that Harry married again.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards,  Liz
Ashmore, Kings Newton, Derbyshire. Briers, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Beardsley, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Dawson, Melbourne, Derbyshire. Poxon, Melbourne, Derbyshire.
Bartlett, Evershot, Dorset. Honeybun, Broadwindsor, Dorset. Cleal, Dorset. Wills, Somerset/Dorset.
Loud, Devon/Dorset. Gillett, Dorset. Withers, Berkshire.