Author Topic: Firefox image problems on Scotlandspeople  (Read 954 times)

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
Firefox image problems on Scotlandspeople
« on: Sunday 28 January 07 21:46 GMT (UK) »
My Mozilla Firefox browser got updated today, and after that I was unable to see any images in Scotlandspeople - images I'd just bought, or older ones in my Viewed Images list. I could if I used Internet Explorer, though. I prefer not to use Internet Explorer, however, as my PC runs Windows Millenium, and Microsoft no longer supplies security updates to it.

I tried updating my Java version ( go to:   http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml  ) to see what version you're using, and http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp  to get the newest one ).

I had been using 1.4.2_05

After updating to the newest, and after restarting the PC, it now works fine and I can see all my images.
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox image problems on Scotlandspeople
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 January 07 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I've never had any problems viewing images on SP with Firefox ever. I think it's seems more a Java problem, maybe.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 07 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I think it's a combination, as I've never had problems with Firefox either until the automatic update today. And the older Java still worked fine with Internet Explorer.

It might be something to do the Firefox update insisting on more security - I note that after installing the newest Java client, when I viewed the first image, it said that there was an error with its digital signature but did I want to see it anyway?
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 January 07 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Should you have any further problems you might consider
AlternaTiff which is available for both Firefox as a plug in and for IE as an ActiveX component

http://www.alternatiff.com/