Author Topic: Anglesey, Amlwch Farm History  (Read 5048 times)

Offline JoWiDaWa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anglesey, Amlwch Farm History
« on: Tuesday 30 January 07 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from San Antonio Texas!
I am trying to research my family history and am looking for infomation or leads from a kind person, willing to assist me.
In 1901 the Jones farm, located in Amlwch, Anglesey was  being run by widow Ellen Jones[1845] and sons Hugh,[1875] John[1878], Lewis[1880] and William Jones.[1886] I would like to know anything about the history of this farm . Previous occupants [ possibly more Acestors] and even anything about the above mentioned family.
I have seen a photograph of my mother as a young girl taken at the gateway to the house. The gateway had two large victorian or earlier stone gateposts
        Thanks a lot Joseph Walker ::)
[William Jones 1866 was my Grandfather on my mothers side.]
Also interestrd in Amlwch Genealogy Books or articles or contacts.

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Anglesey, Amlwch Farm History
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joseph looks like Lewis Snr & Ellen on the 1881 census, do you have that record?

Regards
Shirley
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline JoWiDaWa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sirley  Yes i have it now, Thank you for your effort, can you go back to an earlier date , say about 1850 but look under Lewis Jones and see what comes up. I hope & expect him to be in the same location. Thanks Joe.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe if you go to Freebmd you will see a birth in 1844 at Carnarvon for a Lewis, a marriage for a Lewis and a Ellen Hughes at Anglesey in 1871 and a death for a Lewis in 1882 which corresponds with his age on the 1881 census. All possibilities.

I am going to the LDS library on the 9th Feb where i will gladly look Lewis up on the 1851 census for you.

Pls let me know by the 8th if you do not have the info by then.

Regards
Shirley
Godwin- Wilts
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline JoWiDaWa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shirley!! Once again you have helped me take a step forward!.
By the way I have been looking at a detailed map of
Anglesey and especially around the area of Amlwch and I have located a Hamlet of about three houses called Ysgellog. If you look again at the 1901 census you will see that their address is  Ysgellog. In the 1881 census it is listed as a farm of 26 acres and with live in servants. Om another site of the many I have looked at there was a searcher looking at a much earlier period than where I am at for relatives at Ysgellog at a 144 acre farm.
I have left a message in the Amlwch geanology board asking for any history of the farm. My mother was visiting her relatives there in the 1920s. I have a distant  memory that she told me that the house name was Bryn Muer, or something close to that. By the way are you living in the USA, as you mentioned going to see the records of the Latter Day Saints? Thanks & Love joe [ San Antonio Texas] :)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 February 07 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joe happy to help, i have had lots of kind people helping me.

I did a search on my 1881 discs, there are thousands of places beginning with "Bryn"!! So no good there, but there is some great info on the following website and Genuki re Amlwch

www.amlwchdata.co.uk

happy to look at the censuses for you on my next visit on the 9th.

I am English in Australia, the LDS libraries are very good over here they open their doors to anyone researching their family trees.

ps My Scottish Gt Gt g/father was born in Quebec, returned to Scotland then died at the age of 31 in the Californian Goldrush!

Regards
Shirley
Perth WA
Godwin- Wilts
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline ioan20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, my ancestors, the Owens family, farmed Ysgellog for 200 years and when the son, John died in 1891, the family were refused any further tenancy because the Owens family were not members of the Church, but Were members of Wesleyan Methodists and neither did they vote for the Tories. census of 1901 confirm the change of tenancy to Jones.

Offline Momar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've been doing the tree of the Jones who took over Ysgellog (appears as Isgellog in early documents) in 1891. Ellen Jones married Lewis Jones around 1872, not surprisingly rather difficult to locate marriage and birth certificates as some are not yet online and Ellen Jones was a very common name. 
I have done a fair bit of the Jones tree but don't have a William born 1866....
The Bryn place is probably Bryn Mawr which I have come across in my searches but is I think for another family...

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Momar, welcome to RootsChat

... Ellen Jones married Lewis Jones around 1872, not surprisingly rather difficult to locate marriage and birth certificates as some are not yet online and Ellen Jones was a very common name....

I've managed to find the birth registrations of the children and the marriage between Lewis Jones and Ellen.

Robert b. 20 May 1872, Pentraeth, the son of Lewis Jones and Ellen (nee) Jones. The following were all born to Lewis Jones and Ellen Jones at Llanfechell:
Hugh - 30 Jan 1875, John Lewis - 3 Sep 1877, Lewis - 27 Jan 1880, James - 24 Aug 1882, William Henry - 23 Sep 1885.

The marriage took place at Llanfflewyn Church on 5 Sep 1871 between Lewis Jones, f, b, servant, Gwannydog, son of Robert Jones, farmer and Ellen Hughes, f, s, Gwannydog, dau. of Hugh Jones, farmer.
The marriage is on FindMyPast but Lewis has been trancribed as Lewin.

Lewis Jones died 20 Mar 1896 at Ysgellog, Amlwch, age 52. The informant was Robert Jones, son, also of Ysgellog.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk