Author Topic: Boer War Query  (Read 886 times)

Offline dudcorner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boer War Query
« on: Tuesday 30 January 07 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,
Would anyone know whereabouts i could begin to start researching my GreatGrandfather. He was stationed at Colchester Barracks, fought in the Boer War and was a Regimental Sergeant Major.  I do know his name but other than that this is all. Any clues? Thank you.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War Query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Please give his full name and any other info you have on him, ie, date and place of birth if you know them and what Regiment you think he might have been in.
This will help the experts to help you.

Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I think his service record will be at the National Archives. Check, but you could visit yourself or pay a researcher. The NA will also dig out and copy the file (if you can get the reference on-line) - again for a fee.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline dudcorner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Salty and Bernard! Thank you for taking the time to reply back. I am new to all this and not sure where to start. I will try the National Archives and see if they can come up with anything. Salty, his full name was John Edgar Cant. Unfortunately i do not know his regiment! I guess that would be crucial to have? I do know that he survived the Boer war and may have fought in WWI. Well, thank you once again, any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dudcorner