Author Topic: What Regiment?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Benners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What Regiment?
« on: Monday 05 February 07 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what regiment the gentleman in the picture is in?...I think it was taken in about 1914.

Thanks
Mark
Bentley - Lancs, Rothwell - Lancs, Yorks, Smith - Silsden (Yorks), Maher - Lancs & Ireland, Simpson - Kildwick (Yorks), Sidebotham - USA, Gilks & Beale - Buckinghamshire

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
Re: What Regiment?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 February 07 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,
I'm not sure that it's a military uniform.  Have you found your chap on the 1901 census?  If so, what occupation was given?

I may be wrong, so I'll keep looking.

Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 February 07 22:57 GMT (UK) »
A bit puzzling - the greatcoat does not have military buttons and is not military broadcloth. The man looks old to be in the service at all. The badge seems to be just the cypher GvR surmounted by a crown. The arm badges are of a Warrant Officer Class II but there are no service stripes on the cuffs. Early Corps of Provost badges were roughly similar but not identical.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline r973g

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my profile yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Benners
I would suggest that he is not now actually "in the Army" but serving as a civilian in a garrison somewhere, his badge is a General Service badge, and would suggest that it is an Army greatcoat with the buttons changed, and that he is ex Warrent Officer (Sgt Major). I have found many that carried their rank to the grave long after they had retired from the Army but had served in a civilian capacity after the end of service.
Ray
Greenaway
Greenway
Griggs-Essex & Kent
March-E. Anglia
Morley-Norfolk & Suffolk

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I would go for a Barrack Warden:

Barracks Wardens-Pensioners only not under the rank of Sergeant; age under 45, except for Warrant Officers; Character 'Very Good' Wages in addition to Pension, 4s. 3d a day, rising to 5s. 9d a day after 15 years' service as Barrack Warden.

Thay would have been re-cap badge into the General Service Corps. If today he would go on the Long Service list, but keep his Cap Badge & Regt.

Offline RobertS

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Great Great Grandfather - Albert Mizen 1866 - 1928
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Could be Norfolk Yeomanry.
Robert S
I have opted out of all RootsChat updates to my posts

Stones, Berden in Essex
Nunn, in Ingatesone and Rodings
Shire, in Dorset
Sparey in Wiltshire

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Well done, Robert S. I had hesitated to reply about the General Service badge which is quite different with lion and unicorn supporters. You have the exact cap badge there.  8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all for your great replies, I shall pass the info you've given on to my friend.

Cheers
Benners
Bentley - Lancs, Rothwell - Lancs, Yorks, Smith - Silsden (Yorks), Maher - Lancs & Ireland, Simpson - Kildwick (Yorks), Sidebotham - USA, Gilks & Beale - Buckinghamshire

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
I am afraid that it is much too small to be Norfolk yeomanry.  The Norfolk yeo badge was the same design as that but much bigger.  I much prefer the Barrack warden idea as he is most likely a retired soldier at that age.  the coat may have Warrent Officer type crowns on the sleeves but it is not proper uniform for a serving soldier.

The Yeomanry are the bottom row and the Military Provost/ Barrack wardens are the top smaller ones.