Author Topic: Curragh Camp, Kildare  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Curragh Camp, Kildare
« on: Tuesday 06 February 07 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, as my irish history is not good.

I have recently found a possible birth of a GG Aunt on the IGI. The details show Emily Hill, born 23 December 1879, Curragh Camp, Kildare, Ireland. Parents Thomas Hill & Mary Jane Gates Hill.

I believe Thomas was oroginally born in Ireland but do not know where at the moment. I have found a possible marriage for Thomas & Mary in Canada (Mary was from Canada) and he served in the British Army. His regiment were in Ireland at the time of Emily's birth.

Please can some-one let me know if, and how, I may be able to obtain a copy of Emily's birth certificate or find out more about Curragh Camp.

Cheers

dinie

Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Billiejo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Curragh Camp, Kildare
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Dinie
The British army left the Curragh Camp in 1922 and handed over to the Irish Defence forces who are still there.

History update.
http://www.esatclear.ie/~curragh/frames_page.htm
Scroll down right hand side to Curragh of Kildare. Click 'Enter' on  site and see the list of topics on top left hand side.
There is also a Guestbook. The first 9-10 pages have been 'got at by advertisers'  >:(  ::) but the rest are genuine messages and comments from real people. Be aware one seldom gets a reply. This site and particularly the individual Kildare one for your query is by far the best.
Also:
http://www.curragh.info/New_Folder
http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlkid/

The registry for Births Deaths and Marriages is at:
 Popular House,  Naas,  Co Kildare,  Eire.
OR they will point you in the right direction.

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Curragh Camp, Kildare
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billiejo

Thanks for your reply, I will check out those links.

Do you know what the cost of buying Irish certificates is (I am in England).

Cheers

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.