Author Topic: David Little married 1746  (Read 5240 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: David Little married 1746
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 February 07 17:46 GMT (UK) »
These might prove useful resources when researching the place name of Evnlie:

www.dgfhs.org.uk/Ian-Anderson/i-a-7.htm

Just one thing that concerns me on reading the RootsWeb old posts, there is the question mark over whether Evnlie is actually only part of the word (place name) that someone was able to work out from the OPR film?

Certainly one for the experts on v. old place names!

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 February 07 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar problem with one of my places in Kirkcudbrightshire. I poured over masses of old-map sites and eventually found it on a very early map . It was a fermtoun.

I've searched for the source for ages to put it up but still can't find it. I'll add it here if I do.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 November 08 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to work out where Evnlie could be i have looked at old maps of Canonbie and there is no name that comes anywhere near that.David Little and Janet Johnstone both died at Crookholm i found that in the deaths and burials index for Canonbie.I am interested in them. I am doing Littles of Canonbie and i have a direct line going  backwards from  1919 back to William Little 1743  who married Sibella Little  i have confirmed all my info using s/people i do not have a birth record for William but i think David Little &Janet Johnstone could be his parents i also have looked for a marriage for them on sp and cant find one either.I have been in touch with other people doing the Littles back as far as David & Janet but no one comes as far forward as i do. Margaret55.

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 November 08 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret

The document which I believe to be the origin of Evnlie is called The Littles of Galloway and the County of Kent (not the English Kent  :)) by Geo. E Little.

There is a copy of it - or part of it - at www.donlittle.com/Family Tree/thelittles.htm

There is much more Little information at www.donlittle.com   There is a link to the above from it but the link appears to be currently broken.

You will see that the document refers to a marriage in 1746 between Janet Johnston of Crookholm  and David Little of Evnlie.   Crookholm is on 19th century maps and on modern; Evnlie appears on neither.  However about i mile north west of Crookholm - and probably the next 'farm' - is Airnlee - which is on both modern maps and on 19th century maps.  Both place are about 3 miles east of the 'town' of Canonbie.

The Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society has published a transcription of the memorials of Canonbie Parish Church.  There are 579 in total of which 69 include the name Little.  You may of course have used this as a source already.

No. 570 records the death of John Johnston of Earnlie (sic) in March 1780 age 77 years.  Also his wife, his son - and Sarah Johnston of Glingerbeck-know.

I don't know if anything helps but I wonder whether I could go out on a limb and say for Evnlie read Ainlie  ;D ;D ;D ;D     Perhaps I shouldn't.

Regards
Reiver

Offline margaret55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 November 08 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reiver                                                                                  i have the 1786-1805 burial index there arent many Littles in there i have also been to Canonbie Churchyard several times and found a lot some mine and a few that are  not but i wrote them down just in case. As you go along towards Canonbie there are sign posts for other places that come under Canonbie names were familier but  i cant remember any name that might have come close to Evnlie. I have the 1841 census booklets with the name of the farms in Canonbie at that time but no Evnlie but if it was a farm the name could have been changed. I have seen the donlittle sight it concentrates more on  the Canadian family members.
it looks like it is going to be a mystery unless the sp get it on film they have got a lot more info from when i first started to do my tree.If i find it i will come back a let everyone know.
margaret55.