Author Topic: Matilda Hillary  (Read 3039 times)

Offline delacyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matilda Hillary
« on: Thursday 08 February 07 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Matilda Hillary, christened 25/7/1824 at St Mary's in Southampton, the daughter of Henry Hillary (b:1801) and Sarah Hillary (b:1801). I believe Matilda married a Captain Dudley Edward Byrne at the Belgian chapel at St Georges Southwark on 26th June 1847, when she was 23 years old. They went to live at Sorrel Hill House in Tipperary Ireland. Can anyone confirm she did indeed marry Dudley Edward Byrne and if they have any idea how they met....a long shot I know!

Regards
Geoff Byrne
Byrne, Campion, Butler, Fitzpatrick,

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda Hillary
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 February 07 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Besides Matilda Hillary, Henry and Sarah had other children baptised.

Emma Sarah 1823 Southampton
Henry George 1826 Southampton
Mary Ellen 1828 Southampton
William Frederick 1830 Southampton
Jane 1833 Southampton
Louisa born 1836 baptised Micheldever 1838
Martha Ann 1838 Micheldever
Emma Sarah 1839 Micheldever

On the 1841 census the family were in Micheldever minus their two eldest daughters. Henry was the innkeeper of the Eagle Inn. Both he and his wife were born in Hampshire. On the 1851 census in Micheldever Sarah was a widow born Ringwood. The family were still innkeepers.

Deaths Mar 1843   
HILLARY  Henry    Winchester  7 171

Obtaining the marriage certificate would confirm Matilda's father's name and occupation on her marriage in 1847 and whether she was the daughter of Henry and Sarah. No Matilda Hillary appears on the Hampshire burial index up to 1837 (so she didn't die young) and there appears to be no other entry for a Matilda Hillary on FreeBMD up to 1851 (pretty good coverage of the civil registration index) apart from the 1847 marriage.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline delacyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 February 07 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda,

Thanks for your reply, I had traced a fair few of Matilda's brothers and sisters on Ancestry.co.uk but your list is even more complete. Are you a descendant of the Hillary's? Attached is a copy of the marriage certificate. It shows Matilda's father as Henry, though it looks like he actually died 3 or 4 years before the wedding. No occupation shown for Matilda but looks like she was living in Peckham (a relative possibly?). If you get any other info as to what she was doing in London, who she was working for that would be great. Maybe there is a common link with Thomas Warde as Dudley Byrne was his land agent in Ireland?

Regards
Geoff

Moderator comment: image cropped - you may only post small portions of certificates on the boards. Thanks

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 February 07 17:49 GMT (UK) »
1841 census HO107 733/2 folio 29 page 7
19 Conduit Street St George Hanover Square  Middlesex
Matilda Hillay 15 not born Middlesex Dress makers's apprentice   

1841 census HO107 579/9 folio 21 page 34
Moreton Street Manchester Lancashire
Dudley Byrne 30 Independent born Ireland
Joseph Barrett 30 Surgeon born Ireland

Ages rounded down to the nearest 5 for most adults (over the age of 15) on the 1841 census.

Addresses on marriage, if by banns, merely indicate residency for the three weeks the banns were called which is not necessarily where they were living.

I have no connection with the Hillary family.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline delacyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 February 07 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda,

Thanks for the info on the 1841 census. It gives a good reason why Matilda was in London and I guess there could have been any number of reasons as to how she may have met Dudley Byrne. He certainly did business in London with Thomas Warde, who was a very rich man from Stratford on Avon and one time Sheriff of Warwickshire.

Your info was much appreciated
Kind regards
Geoff

Offline caz62

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 09 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Geoff

I have been researching Henry and Sarah Hillary nee ward....

I found Sarah in the 1851 census, Inn keeper in Micheldever, she has 5 of her children still living with her, also she has a Frederick Ward, bn abt 1815 living with them as a servant.......Frederick was also her neighbour in the 1841 census.

Sarah re-married in 1860 to a Frederick Ward..in the 1861 Frederick is an Inn Keeper in Micheldever, I do not know which public house..But would like to find out....

regards

Caz...:)