Author Topic: Newry, Armagh; Patrick McGough  (Read 1786 times)

Offline boatsport

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Newry, Armagh; Patrick McGough
« on: Saturday 10 February 07 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for records of a Patrick McGough; parents were possibly in Castlebar in the period 1843-1855.
My research leads me to believe that my Grandfather Patrick McGough (b. 1841 or 1842) is a son of Patrick McGough (b. abt 1815) and Anne Ronane of Castlebar, Mayo, Ireland.

Background:  I searched the church records in Castlebar but had no success. Patrick was probably born outside of County Mayo. One possibility is that his McGough family moved from Ulster and his birth was prior to their arrival in Castlebar. Our family lore suggests he became a seaman.

Question: I found the following Patrick McGough in the 1861 census of Portsmouth Harbour, Hampshire England. This Patrick was a Seaman on the ship Asia, and it suggest he was born 1839 in Newry, Armagh, Ireland.
 ???Does anyone know more about this Patrick McGough or is there a way to find his records??
Baxter, McGough, Ronane, McComb, Taggart

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Newry, Armagh; Patrick McGough
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 08 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello boatsport,

I've linked your Mayo prior to 1843- McGough & Ronane thread to this one.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 March 08 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Question: I found the following Patrick McGough in the 1861 census of Portsmouth Harbour, Hampshire England. This Patrick was a Seaman on the ship Asia, and it suggest he was born 1839 in Newry, Armagh, Ireland.
 ???Does anyone know more about this Patrick McGough or is there a way to find his records??
Have you tried looking for this Patrick McGough in later census records even if only to eliminate him from being the one you are looking for?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline boatsport

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 March 08 03:59 GMT (UK) »
I found him 1861 census (a seaman), but he was apparently still in Ireland in 1841. .. Did not find him in 1871. By 1867 my Patrick was in US, that is why I was a bit interested. I doubt he is the one I am looking for, but I am trying to eliminate (or verify) all possibilities.
Baxter, McGough, Ronane, McComb, Taggart