Author Topic: Halpins in Westmeath  (Read 37979 times)

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins in Westmeath
« Reply #72 on: Monday 29 April 19 21:21 BST (UK) »

No problem. Thanks anyway.

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 04 May 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
Kaligirl,

I am working on the information given by your grandmother. It takes a while as the records are at times difficult to decipher.

One thing I did find, by sheer accident, was that Patrick Halpin (who died in 1905) had an eight sibling of whom I was previously unaware. He had a brother named Thomas who was baptised on 20th May 1842.

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 05 May 19 10:22 BST (UK) »
Kaligirl,

I’ve drawn a blank on a Corrigan connection that your grandmother mentioned unfortunately.

That said, I do find it interesting that she mentioned a Corrigan. I don’t know if she was ever in Ireland. If she wasn’t, for some reason the name struck a chord with her. Certainly your grandfather knew Corrigans, he was probably in school with some of them, one of his aunts married a Corrigan and one of his sisters married a man whose mother was a Corrigan. Those Corrigans were brother and sister. It’s intriguing.

In one of your posts you say the following: “I started searching for a Mary Corrigan and found a Mary Catherine Corrogan baptized in Westmeath in 1780 (a year before Christopher's birth).” Could I ask where you found that Chrisopher.

If Christopher's (died 1890) baptism record could be found it would be a major advance. There is nothing to confirm that he was born in 1816 at the moment.

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 06 May 19 12:35 BST (UK) »
Another headstone:

I was told the following about another headstone in the graveyard at the back of the parish church in Fore.

It reads Catherine Halpin, died 6/5/1880, aged 72,  Christopher Halpin, died 16/4/1890, aged 74 - then Bridget, wife of Christopher, died 9/4/1906, aged 40.  Then on the side is Christopher, died June 1971 and Mary Ellen, died February 1982.  At the bottom it says erected by Rev. W. J. Halpin, Iowa, U.S.

I was in Fore yesterday doing some research. I wasn’t actually looking for anything to do with the Halpins, however I came across a transcription of the inscription on the side of Christopher and Catherine’s grave. The transcription was done a number of years ago by a very well respected local historian.

It reads as follows:

Christy HALPIN
died
22 April 1936
Thomas  died
2 April 1961
Christopher HALPIN
died 10th July 1971
His sister Kathleen
died 10th February 1982
R.I.P.

The Christy who died in 1936 was a brother of Patrick who died in 1905.

I took a couple of photos of the church and village while I was there if anyone is interested in them.

Offline kaligirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 06 May 19 13:59 BST (UK) »
Feichin,

I go 'dark' on the weekends, so did not see your marvelous research. I am once again indebted for your help.

1. The Christopher born in 1781 was found in the 1821 Census from Balbridagh, Meath.
He was a Farmer age 40 and had a son, Christopher age 2.
I checked the map and it appeared Balbridagh was close enough to Delvin (and the 1819 date) that he could be related?

2. The additional transcription is much appreciated as would your photos.

i understand the Seven Wonders Bar is owned by an Ida Halpin. Any chance you've visited?

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 06 May 19 14:29 BST (UK) »
Kaligirl,

Thank you for the information regarding the census. I will look at it.

I sent you the photos yesterday at the email address you gave me previously, I hope that you don’t mind. If you didn’t receive them, let me know and I will send them again.

I wasn’t in the Seven Wonders yesterday but I have been in it. You can see the pub on the first picture of the village that I sent. It is a grey building and has it’s name in red on a white background over the door. It is next door to another pub called the Abbey House which has a stone façade. Those pubs were probably there in some form or other when your grandfather lived in Fore. You are not related to the Halpins who own the Seven Wonders.

I also included a photo of Christopher and Catherine’s grave which I neglected to send to you previously.

There is also a photo taken from near Patrick and Williams grave showing the ruins of the old Benedictime Abbey.

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 06 May 19 15:11 BST (UK) »
Kaligirl,

It’s funny how things happen. I was just looking at the photos again and realised that some of the graves behind Christoper and Catherine’s are Corrigans. Also the man I mentioned in a previous post, whose mother was a Corrigan, is in the grave behind Patrick and William’s.

Offline kaligirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 06 May 19 15:20 BST (UK) »
Very interesting - makes a connection possibility more realistic...
I often wonder if my grandfather was the son of a brother instead of Patrick as the records of his 'siblings' are available.

Offline Feichin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 06 May 19 16:02 BST (UK) »
It is not unusual for there to be no records. I have numerous examples of it. I also have lists of possibilities. There are any number of reasons why no civil registration took place. In the case of church records, it was a matter for the local cleric and how diligent he was.

I have come across a whole family in Dublin who had no civil records. It was only through perseverance that I managed to find the church records. It is also not unusual to find individuals who seem to have slipped through the cracks. It’s hard work but sometimes it pays off. In Fore and Collinstown there are gaps in the records but by a process of elimination I made a breakthrough a few days ago.

Like I said, I have lists of possibilities. For example the Catherine Donnelly that you mentioned previously. She certainly is a “good fit”. Unfortunately there is nothing to show a connection but she should not be forgotten. At some stage in the future, something might arise that will show a connection. I regularly trawl though the records and it’s amazing what pops up sometimes