Author Topic: 1881 Census look up - Rachel Leslie  (Read 2084 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1881 Census look up - Rachel Leslie
« on: Monday 12 February 07 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find Rachel and Robert Leslie in the 1881 census.  Rachel Morren born 1833 married Robert Leslie in 1861.

I have her in the 1841/51/61 census as Rachel Morren living with parents  John and Helen Morren.  So far I have not found them having had children.

I am also looking for George Morren born 1835.  I have not found him having married so might not be so easy to confirm as being the correct person.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Census look up - Rachel Leslie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 07 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find Rachel and Robert Leslie in the 1881 census.  Rachel Morren born 1833 married Robert Leslie in 1861. So far I have not found them having had children.

The IGI lists two children
Helen Leslie, born 23 April 1862, Rhynie and Essie
John Morren Leslie, born 15 January 1864, Rhynie and Essie.

In the 1881 census there's an 18-year-old Helen Leslie, servant, born Rhynie, in the household of Thomas Bruce, minister of Rhynie; and a 17-year-old John Leslie, servant, in the household of George Wilson at Milton of Noth, Rhynie.

The index at Scotland's People tells me that Rachel Morren or Leslie, aged 31, died in Rhynie in 1864. You can download the image of her death certificate at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There is a widowed Robert Leslie, aged 60, at 2 Belhennie, Rhynie, with sister Elizabeth, 46, niece Mary Thomson, 17, and nephew Robert Thomson, 10. It looks as if Mary is Elizabeth's daughter, born 24 June 1863, father James Thomson. Have not found a likely candidate for Robert.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Census look up - Rachel Leslie
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 07 13:47 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you for finding this information. 

I must have been having a bad day when I looked for children in the IGI.  I can only think I checked on the batch numbers for an area and never checked the full list.

I never thought on Rachel having died before 1881.  I wonder if she died as the result of child birth, as one of her children was born in 1864.

Thanks again

Betty