Author Topic: John Smith/Wm Alex Barton/14th Regt of Foot  (Read 1663 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John Smith/Wm Alex Barton/14th Regt of Foot
« on: Monday 12 February 07 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I'm looking for a bit of advice and help on the following...all suggestions gratefully received.

I am trying to trace back from a John and Jane Smith in Manchester. All I have found out so far is that he was a spinner and one census has him born in Athlone. His father - also John Smith (married to Margaret) was a Weaver - also born in Ireland. Not a lot to go on when you are called John Smith!

Anyway, I have found a census which I think may be them which does have a  clue I could follow up. It lists them with presumably their parents and a child called William Henry Smith.  The Ancestry transcript says he is 18 but looking at the original I think it could actually say 1 yr.  If anyone has access perhaps they could take look and see if they agree.  If it is 1yr then I think I may have the right family.

Also - and here is the clue - there is a 17 year old called Wm Alexr Barton who is down as grandson... (of John senior and wife Margaret). His birth is abt 1825 and it says 14th Regiment of Foot and I think it might say Tring. I am thinking that if this IS the right family then maybe I can bypass the Smith brick wall and if I can trace his parents I may be able to find a maiden  name for either John's daughter or his wife Margaret to go on. (I am having no luck finding the maiden name of Jane Smith mother of William Henry as there are so many in Manchester at that time and the certificates I have had so far are not right)

I went to Army births and have found a Willam A Barton with the following reference
Athlone 1834 14th vol 6 p7
Army Births and Baptisms AB91. 

It does not say he was born in Tring but Athlone.  I checked with a military historian who can find no reference of the 14th being in Tring in 1834 but said they may have been in Ireland around that time.

So here's my questions:

If I order this army birth certificate what kind of info might it contain to identify the parents?

Does anyone know if it likely that (or why) the birth might be registered as Athlone but he put Tring on a later census (other than he was being a bit daft!)

Does anyone have access to any 14th Regt refs which might help.

Can anyone find William Alexander Barton on any other census as I can't find him anywhere.  He was working as a porter on the one I have so presumable he was not in the army himself.

And of course if anyone can help find either of the John Smiths in 1841 (or any other clues for that matter!) that would be great but I know that's not easy

CENSUS WHICH INCLUDES HIM:
Class: HO107; Piece: 2225; Folio: 656; Page: 10

John and Jane on 1861 (I think)
Class: RG9; Piece: 2930; Folio: 53; Page: 26

John and Jane 0n 1871 (I think)
RG10; Piece: 4031; Folio: 10; Page: 20;

Son William Henry in 1881 & 1891

RG11; Piece: 3981; Folio: 108; Page: 19;
RG12; Piece: 3255; Folio 108; Page 40;

(I do have him without parents in 1871 RG10/4030 & 1901 RG13/3761  but can't find the full refs just now!)

Thanks in advance

:) :)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk