Author Topic: SPARY/SPAREY Family - early 1700's  (Read 905 times)

Offline HiFly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SPARY/SPAREY Family - early 1700's
« on: Friday 16 February 07 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forumites

If anyone is looking into the above families in Wiltshire I would appreciate some assistance.

In looking up my VALLIS rellies came across Mary SPARY bapt 01 FEB 1718 at Chitterne St. Mary with parents John & Mary Spary, who married 7-Nov-1747 @ Chitterne a John Vallis.

Would anyone have any further info on this household by any chance??

TIA _ HiFly
KENNEDY - Bewcastle/Stapleton, Cumberland
& Haltwhistle, Northumberland
VALLIS/VALLAS/VILLIS - Everywhere in UK
SHAW - Liverpool
WRIGHT - Canada & Liverpool
ELLIS - Wiltshire & India
FUCHS/BRUNEDER - Austria
CMYRAL - Bohemia

Offline empy23

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SPARY/SPAREY Family - early 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 23 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hello, just a note to let you know that someone on Ancestry.com had looked into the history of this family. Unfortunately, I don't have the link and Ancestry has changed its business model so you can't search family trees easily any more, but what I remember is that the earliest record of Sparys in Wiltshire is an Edward Spary associated with the village of Boyton in a parish register of 1572 (the registers begin in 1560s): http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Marriages&RecordID=1477594. Sometime during the 1700s one descendant, Uriah Spary, had moved to Hertfordshire and set up as a wheelwright (he is mentioned in other posts), but this is probably too late for your purposes. I haven't come across the specific family member you mention.
It is possible that the family name is a corruption of 'épervier' meaning spur-maker--Boyton was the site of the family home of Norman nobles, the Giffords, who ran a knightly riding school in the Middle Ages.