Author Topic: As you did so well with my last puzzle ......  (Read 3652 times)

Offline reeve99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
As you did so well with my last puzzle ......
« on: Monday 19 February 07 21:41 GMT (UK) »
As you did so well with the last puzzle can anyone help with this one which has been longstanding for a number of years with one of my distant relatives and for me since I started my research last year.

Susannah (and all varient spellings) Readman born 18th Feb 1844 and baptised the same day in the Roman Catholic Church, St Hedda's in Egton Bridge.  Mother noted as Mary Readman - no father of child noted.  Godparents George Holmes and Agnes Holmes.

Susannah then disappears and is not found on any census' until 1861 when she is aged 17 and a servent in Thornton Dale.  She then marries Jeremiah Collinson, in 1862 in Grosmont and has John, William, Jeremiah Thomas and Jane ELizabeth (my great grandmother).  Jeremiah dies in 1874 and she ends up in the workhouse and quickly remarries William Shipley in 1876 at Whitby Register Office and settles in Middlesbrough with him.

On the marriage certificate for Jeremiah her father is noted as William Peirson, Farmer and witnesses are John Peirson and Eleanor Wilson.  On the marriage certificate to William Shipley, her father is noted as John Pearson, Labourer.  Witnesses are Thomas Warters and Robert William White.

My problems are to pin down the Mary Readman who is the mother of Susannah which I have yet to do and also to see if I can find out which is her father.  It gets very confusing as I have Peirson's and Readman's on both sides of my family and I'm sure at some point they linked.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anna

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: As you did so well with my last puzzle ......
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 07 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anna,

Not quite answering your question, but could Susannah be the Susanna Peirson who in 1851 is a boarder with John and Jane Peirson in Egton?  She's indexed as aged 9 but looks on the face of the document to be 7 to me.  HO107/2374 folio 59 p21. 

I know she was baptised Readman but if she was an actual daughter or de facto (informally adopted) daughter of John Peirson it's conceivable that she was enumerated with his surname in the census (?)

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline loubla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna.
Glad to be some help

1842 William readman married Hannah peirson in whitby.

I know these arn't the names you asked for but they could be another link to them(if anything like the richardsons)

i've looked for George and Agnes holmes in egton.i have got both these people but they would of been in their early teens when susannah was born.

do you know what happened to Mary Readman.

louise
spivey-beverley,scarborough
burns/burn-cloughton,scarborough,fylingdales
duffill/duffell-beverley
truefitt-hinderwell,slaithes
blake-scarborough
kay-whitby,scarborough,harrogate
coates-scarborough

Offline reeve99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help so far.

avm - yes I had seen that and I suppose I need to look into it a bit further as perhaps John is Susannah's uncle.  I agree that the copy of the census could say 9 not 7.

Loubla - not sure about the William Readman marrying Hannah Peirson.  As far as I can see neither of these connect to my tree but I will bear them in mind.  I do have a Hannah Peirson but much later.  I think that they may be the Holmes which we are referring to as maybe  Mary was in her teens as well.

Keep looking everyone - don't think we've cracked it yet!

Anna

Offline reeve99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Have some more info on Mary Readman.

Looks like she married Thomas Smithson in 1846 and in the 1851 census is living with him and Elizabeth and Ellen (? their children).  By 1861 looks like Mary has died and he is living with the children plus another child Eliza (10m) and he is noted as son in law.  Others in the household are apparently John and Eleanor Redman (both aged 61) so hopefully these are Mary's parents.  Needs some checking I think but hopefully that is one part of the mystery solved.

Anna