Author Topic: BUSH family of Bitton  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Jamys

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BUSH family of Bitton
« on: Tuesday 20 February 07 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

I'm doing hubby's tree and have run out of steam with Samuel Bush born c.1741 I think in Bitton.  He married Rachel Naish c1766.

This info is from the LDS site and "bitton.families" site.

Samuel & Rachel's son John married Mary Thompson in Bitton in 1793.
Their son John Naish Bush married Marcia/Maria Ford in 1825.

Is anyone out there researching this line please?

Regards, Jamys
SMITH;  HANDS;  ANDREWS;  STOPP;  Bham/Stretton/Stratford Avon
CLARKE;  STOPP;  Stretton on Dunsmore
HUMPHREYS;  WILLIAMS;  Smethwick/Woodford
WEST;  NICHOLS;  Stratford on Avon
WILLIAMS: Smethwick/W. Brom/Hanley Castle
WHITEHOUSE: W.Brom/Tipton
WINSPER;  Bilston
ADAMS;  Gun Trade
PHILLIPS; Bristol(Clifton)/Bham
LANE;  BALL;  Bristol
OLIVER: Newland
BENNETT: Smethwick/Hanley Castle/Ledbury
RICHARDS: Collycroft
STEPHENS: Newent
WELLS: Woodford
BUSBY: Steeple Aston/Abingdon/Tipton

Offline martin305

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BUSH family of Bitton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi This family is in my line I am Martin Thompson direct descendant of James Thompson. Marys daughter I am also on the Bitton Families website.

You may have all the info I have already but if not or you need some info please drop me a mail and I will see what I can do.

kind regards

Martin Thompson

PS Only just joined this site today

Offline Jamys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin

Welcome to Rootschat.

Henry Ellacombe Bush was my hubby's g.g.grandfather, Henry's daughter Eliza Lavinia is our line.

I'm still stuck at Samuel Bush b.1741.  Bittonfamilies suggest he may be a son of Laurence Bush & Mary Harding, that's all I have.

Some day I hope to be able to get to Gloucester R.O. as I have ancestors in Newland too, otherwise I have to glean what I can from others.

Do you have anything re Samuel's parentage?

Cheers
Jamys
WINSPER;  Bilston
ADAMS;  Gun Trade
LANE;  BALL;  Bristol

Offline MarshaStringer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamys,

It's now two years later (2010), and I've just discovered this Forum.  I'm Marsha of the bittonfamilies site and cousin to Martin -- so cousin to you, too.  Martin and I are of 1768 Mary's sister, 1774 Nancy THOMPSON; 1743 James THOMPSON / Rebecca nee BUTLER were their parents.  Both BUSH and THOMPSON are personal lines.

If you're still on the Forum, I'd love to hear from you via PM as well.

Several of us have worked together on the BUSH family.  We're fairly comfortable that Samuel is the son of Laurence BUSH & Mary HARDING, bap 13 Sep 1747, St. Mary's, Bitton.  But, we can't go beyond Laurence.  One of our group collected some BMD info, but it's a listing of events/dates and remains speculative.

We know there's a substantial BUSH file on the IGI saying the John BUSH, husband of Mary THOMPSON was a s/o John, s/o 1677 William BUSH/Eleanor nee ENGLAND and married to Susannah BRIGHT.  William/Eleanor's son, 1726 John, died in 1760, unmarried.  We have his MI from St. Mary's and his PCC Will is posted on the bittonfamilies site.  There is a John BUSH to Susannah BRIGHT marriage, but that John is not yet identified/placed.  Getting this sorted took a while, so we're trying to be very careful about putting other pieces together.

So you have it:
St.Mary, Bitton, Glos. Marriage register 1754, 1793
1793 Apr 07 John BUSH bachelor & Mary THOMPSON spinster, both of this parish, by banns [Both signed, as did witnesses Sarah Creswicke CLARKE, John WRIGHT]

Samuel's 1809 will extract (on the site), names son John BUSH and one if the witnesses is John THOMPSON (Mary's brother).  Son John's 1823 will is also on the site. 

For some reason, I show Eliza Lavinia as Lavinia Eliza?  Did she marry Albert Henry BLOWETT?

Our joint THOMPSONs are from Newland.  Do you have other families there?  Have you discovered the Forest of Dean website?  It's fantastic. 

www.forest-of-dean.net 

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,
Marsha

GLS/SOM: BERTRAM, BUTLER, BUSH/BUSHE, COATES, COSTER, EATON, ENGLAND, LEWIS, MEERE, NAISH, PAYNTER, SUMPTION, THOMPSON. Associated: BRIGHT, CATER, HIGNELL
Ilmington, GLS/WOR: ARCHER, HAWKINS, ROSE (toBham)
SellyOak, WOR/WAR: MEERE, THOMPSON & others from Bitton, aft 1860
Ireland, Waterford City, TrinityWithout: PHELAN/WHELAN, DALY

Offline Jamys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marsha

Sorry I've been out of touch for a while, family history got pushed to the back burner for a while.

Re your message way back in May last year, many thanks for confirming/tyding up the Bush & Thompson lines, I'll live in hope that someone, one day, can push Laurance's line further back.

Eliza Lavinia Bush was registered as such according to Free BMD and she married Albert Henry BROWETT and it looks like he came from Quaker stock from Northamptonshire.  My mother-in-law is a Browett, Eliza Lavinia's grand-daughter.

The Newland search is my own and the family is Oliver.  Hannah Oliver consistently states Newland as her POB but I've not yet been able to find her baptism.

Yes I have seen the FOD sight and agree it's a fantastic resource - I do envy the dedication of the volunteers.

Just off to chase some Quakers around Northamptonshire.

Regards
Jamys

WINSPER;  Bilston
ADAMS;  Gun Trade
LANE;  BALL;  Bristol

Offline MarshaStringer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 February 11 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamys,
Happy to hear from you.
I couldn't find widow Eliza in 1911 and don't have any children for her/Albert.   
Have you seen the picture of Eliza Lavinia's sister, Marcia BUSH Milton, on the bittonfamilies website?  It was submitted by a grandson of Marcia's daughter, 1887 Lily Milton (so, 3rd cousin to your MLaw).  Lily is the visitor with Eliza/Albert in 1901.
Please feel free to write directly.
Marsha Stringer
stringer at mstringer dot net

GLS/SOM: BERTRAM, BUTLER, BUSH/BUSHE, COATES, COSTER, EATON, ENGLAND, LEWIS, MEERE, NAISH, PAYNTER, SUMPTION, THOMPSON. Associated: BRIGHT, CATER, HIGNELL
Ilmington, GLS/WOR: ARCHER, HAWKINS, ROSE (toBham)
SellyOak, WOR/WAR: MEERE, THOMPSON & others from Bitton, aft 1860
Ireland, Waterford City, TrinityWithout: PHELAN/WHELAN, DALY

Offline Richard Bedford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Eliza Lavinia Bush who married Albert Henry Browett in Tewkesbury Abbey in 1892.

I have little information on her except that Albert died in 1904 and she remarried  a Tom Bach in 1908

Eliza and Albert had 2 children Gladys Ethel ( my grandmother) and Albert Henry (Harry)

I am intrigued by Jamys post which says his mother in law is Eliza Lavinia's grand daughter, as my mother is also Eliza's grand daughter, and wondered if he had any information on Eliza and family.

In 1911 Eliza and Tom were running The Coach and Horses public House in Cheltenham

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 May 16 09:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Richard.

If you click on Jamys's name you will find that she has not been on this site for a year.

However, she could still be in touch as she should still be notified of your comment on this post if she set it up for such.

Meanwhile, is there anything specific that you would like help on, in addition to making contact with Jamys or other family members?

Offline Richard Bedford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 May 16 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply.

Am looking for info on Eliza Lavinia Browett, then Bach also her son, also called Albert Henry Browett, who was my mother's uncle, she didn't see them much after she was bridesmaid to their daughter Margaret and has lost contact with them. 

Any leads or info on her second husband Tom Bach would be good.  I only know he was publican and amateur footballer for Middlesbrough in the 1890's.  My mother says that her mother didn't get on with Tom (her stepfather) and never really spoke about him

Thanks