Author Topic: Mystery Jessie Woodchurch Holy Cross MI  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Sue in Aust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mystery Jessie Woodchurch Holy Cross MI
« on: Thursday 22 February 07 04:26 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out who the Jessie is that appears on a headstone in Woodchurch Holy Cross. Her MI reads, OUR DEAR JESSIE WHO DIED MAY 27TH 1917 AGED 19 YEARS.Others on the headstone are Lily Adams, John Rowland and Joseph Adams, I can account for these three but I no clue as to who JESSIE could be or even if she is connected to my family.

Unfortunately burials records for Woodchurch Holy Cross available on film through LDS only go up to 1913 and I am not sure how to go about finding out just who Jessie was.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sue :)
Adams/ Evans/ Jackson/Rowland/Whaley/Howard/Carlisle/Bennett Wirral Cheshire, Wheeler/ Baker/Urry/Draper Hampshire & Isle of Wight, Cummings/Wilkinson London. Borland/Clarke Scotland. Roberts/Taylor Wales. Wilkinson, Merrott/Merritt or Merret Gloucester, Wilkinson Derbyshire.

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Jessie Woodchurch Holy Cross MI
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 07 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Ask for a 1901 census lookup (sorry — i don't have access). She would have been around 3 years old; try Adams and Rowland.
Where IS Woodchurch Holy Cross?
Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline Sue in Aust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 February 07 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rian

Many thanks for your reply  :), Woodchurch Holy Cross is in the Wirral, Cheshire, sorry I should have put that in my original post.

I have access to and have searched the 1901 census, she does not appear as an Adams or Rowland nor can I see a Jessie in 1901 with any other connected family (at least that I have knowledge of).

I have searched for a birth of a Jessie Rowland & Jessie Adams in 1898 and a year either side without any luck, I have even looked at all the registered births for Jessie's in and around 1898 hoping to see a surname that meant something to me but nothing again. CHS BMD Deaths doesn't help either as they appear at this time not to have any deaths for 1917 registered on the Wirral. She could of course been born & died somewhere other than the Wirral, she may also be unconnected to the others on the headstone but as the inscription gives her as "our dear Jessie" and she appears to have been buried with my G/Grandmother Lily Adams, G/Uncle John Rowland and Lily's son Joseph I an inclined, (wrongly or rightly), to think she was someone "dear" to the family.

Any further suggestions?

Cheers
Sue   :)

Adams/ Evans/ Jackson/Rowland/Whaley/Howard/Carlisle/Bennett Wirral Cheshire, Wheeler/ Baker/Urry/Draper Hampshire & Isle of Wight, Cummings/Wilkinson London. Borland/Clarke Scotland. Roberts/Taylor Wales. Wilkinson, Merrott/Merritt or Merret Gloucester, Wilkinson Derbyshire.

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 07 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just a thought, have you tried contacting the local council, I find them to be a mine of information, usually they have a plan of the grave yards and who is buried where and with whom.  I have recently been in contact with the one in Morecombe, Lancashire, and they have bent over back wards to help me.

Here is the site, it may help http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/registration/burial_and_cremation.htm

Jane :D
LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline Sue in Aust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 07 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

I haven't thought of that, many thanks for the link and I will give it a try.

Fingers crossed, I would really love to know if Jessie is "mine".

Cheers
Sue  :)

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 07 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Sue

Let us know what you find, I love a good mystery, I am at present searching the 1901 for Jessie, trying to find a name that may tie in.

Jane ;D
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
BILSDALE- BOYES

Offline Sue in Aust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 07 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

I feel I am floundering with my mystery Jessie ... I have emailed Chester Record Office asking if they have the burial records for Woodchurch Holy Cross for 1917 and got a automated reply that they will reply to my query within 10 days .... fair enough, they must get hundreds of queries.

Why oh why did folk go to the touble of organising a name on a headstone without giving the FULL name  ???. Perhaps I should post that question in the common room.

In 2005 on a trip to the UK I stood by the headstone, I was so thrilled to find it, here in Aust no one in the family knew much about our Lily (Rowland) Adams, I well remember thinking "I wonder who Jessie is", not in my wildest dreams did I think it be would so difficult to find out.

Thanks so much for looking in the 1901 for Jessie, if you come up anything I will be forever grateful.

Cheers
Sue 

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 07 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

They  may get back to you quicker though  ;D so we wait 10 days lol, now patience not my thing  ;)  Jessie must be someone to the family, or why would she be buried with them, also just another thought, is Jessie her real name, could she have been born with a different name Jessica???

Jane
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
BILSDALE- BOYES

Offline Sue in Aust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 February 07 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

I know what you mean about patience  ;D, and I have wondered if Jessie could be a Jessica or even if Jessie was a nickname but then who puts nicknames on headstones, especially in 1917 when things were more formal. I shall have a poke about for a Jessica,

Thanks for your interest in my mystery Jessie, I'll keep you posted  ;)

Cheers
Sue