Author Topic: Can anyone identify my Grandfather's regiment?  (Read 3528 times)

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone identify my Grandfather's regiment?
« on: Thursday 22 February 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone identify my Grandfather's regiment?

The picture was taken around 1916 at Flanders Field.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Is it of the KOSB or a Rifle Regiment? Or something else?

I unfortunately cannot access his medal records unless I know his regiment.

Thanks for looking.

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify my Grandfather's regiment?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 07 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kojak

Judging by the photo, your grandfather is not in a rifle regiment.  He could be in the KOSB.  He is a piper, but on the sporran cantle I can't see a badge to identify properly.  Also, because of the condition of the photo it is hard to discern the badge on the buckle. 

However, the best clue is the tartan which  though in black and white, the pattern appears to be the correct King's Own Scottish Borderers tartan for the period, the Leslie tartan.

::)
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 February 07 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Kojak

Forgot to ask if your Grandfather survived the war?  Also would you like to tell us his name or any other information that could help identify his regiment!

Anne  :)
McKay:

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 07 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Thanks for that info.  My Grandfathers name was David James Green.  He was ineed Scottish from Dumfriesshire.  He survived the war, but later died of his shrapnel wounds sustained in the Battle of the Somme in 1931.

I had no ides he was a piper or of his tartan.  Many thanks for your kind help.

If you can trace any more info I would be very grateful.

Thanks again,

Kenny
(kojak)
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 07 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Here is the only other picture I have of my Grandfather - believed to have been taken in 1914/15.

Not sure if it helps identify the Regiment.

I hope it does though.

Regards,

Kenny

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 07 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny  :)

Yes, the second photo of your Grandad still makes me think he is a KOSB.  There is a medal card:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?CatID=10&searchType=quicksearch&pagenumber=1&query=green%2C+david+kings+own+scottish&first_date=&last_date=&queryType=1&sortSpec=Score+desc&pagetitle=

What a great photo, as is the first picture, though it is a wee bit damaged.

Here's a cap badge:

McKay:

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 07 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Ohh my goodness Anne.

Thanks very much.  I dont know how you managed it, but I am truly grateful.

Many thanks.

Kenny

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 07 23:57 GMT (UK) »
if we are looking for a KOSB man then perhaps you should look at this medal card

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01a0/ 

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 February 07 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Harribobs.

I printed off that record.  Unfortunately it doesnt detail much.  Do you know if it was common for details such as the date the soldier entered the theatre of war was omitted from the card and/or the discharge date due to shrapnel?

Apart from the name, rank, regiment and regimental number, the card states that my grandfather was awarded with two medals (the 1915 star and the British War Medal).

Nothing else is recorded.

Any help would be appreciated on this matter (at least I am getting somewhere now)

:-)

Kojak