Author Topic: West Indies  (Read 929 times)

Offline Robyn64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
West Indies
« on: Wednesday 24 November 04 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Listers
Does anyone have any experience researching military births in the West Indies? Where should I start?
 ???
Robyn

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: West Indies
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What period are you interested in?

There might be a very simple answer, in that they may be listed among the British army births compiled by the GRO, for which indexes to the registers are available at the FRC in London in book form and also online at www.1837online.com

If, however, the birth you are interested in pre-dates, say, 1800, I doubt that it would be in this sequence.

Offline Robyn64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 04 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi GreySquirel!

Thanks for the reply..the birth is aprox 1813. Off now to have a look at 1837 online!

Thanks again for your suggestions...this board is wonderful...veryone so helpful.

:-)
Robyn

Offline GreySquirrel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 November 04 13:05 GMT (UK) »
There are two main sequences for 1813 -- GRO Regimental Births 1761-1924 and GRO Army Chaplains' Returns 1796-1880 -- and a supplement to the former. Bermuda, Barbados, Jamaica, Trinidad etc are included (alongside India, Canada, Australia etc etc -- anywhere the army was stationed -- UK births are also included, by the way, in the Regimental Births).

These are indexes to the registers -- if you find the person you are looking for, you then have to order the birth cert itself from the GRO (there are direct links to them via the www.1837online.com site if you want to order online).

Out of interest (and I know I am just being nosey!), would you let us know how you get on?!

Offline Robyn64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 November 04 14:14 GMT (UK) »
:-)
Thanks again..did a search on the site but did not find who I am looking for (Henry Cahill born 1813 West Indies).
Will have to put my thinking cap on...and invite you to do the same!

I understand from other records that Henry Cahill was of Irish decent...he was a military man himself..when I found he was born in the West Indies I assumed his father must have been military also.

Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for pointing out the other searches available on 1837online.com though...I have used it many times and not noticed it covered British births overseas!

Thanks
Robyn