Author Topic: Finding houses in london  (Read 5643 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Finding houses in london
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 March 07 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Poppy

I have a friend now living in Perth Oz,who grew up living in Tenby Ave, Kenton.

That would have been in the 1950's and 60's.

I'll find out what number(can't remember-it's too long ago ;))

All the best

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 March 07 08:03 GMT (UK) »
There are some interesting maps on this site.

You really need to have a fair idea where the street you're looking for is. You might get lucky.

I accidentally found one I'd been looking for - it's name had changed and it had been shortened.

http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/maps.htm

PS. If you click on "HOME" there are many more maps of other parts of the country

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 March 07 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Here in Suffolk we have advertisements on Anglia TV to encourage us to use the Rail Network One trains.
We see a young couple who extoll the vertues of a visit to London by telling us that they went to the theatre and then dinner and drinks in Hoxton  ???

My husband is involved with some of the new buildings that are going up in the area, has to visit sites quite often - he says there is still a lot of work to be done in the area. 
So as he is not quite sure where to go for 'dinner and drinks' -  on his last visit he made do with a Mars bar for lunch   ;D

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline sharonw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 January 08 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this board, was browsing backwards and found your post.  Didn't look like anyone got back to you about 5 Calabria Road?  The street still exists, is close to Highbury & Islington tube station and runs east from Highbury Place, (which borders the eastern edge of Highbury Fields open space).

I happened to drive along it last night and there is still a no.5.  It's on the north side of Calabria Rd, very close to the junction with Highbury Place.  A local history book says the street was first occupied about 1890 which fits with the late Victorian appearance of no. 5.  Does that fit with the period you're interested in?

If so, I may be able to get along to take a photo for you, can't quite promise when!

Sharon
WHITTINGTON Bethnal Green & Shoreditch, HEATHER Marylebone & Islington, HUTSON Islington, MANLEY Bethnal Green, STRONG Islington, PEARSON Edmonton Mdsx & Canada, PARSONS Lambeth & St George E, ARNOLD Palmers Green, DUNN Clerkenwell & Edmonton, PRUDENCE Palmers Green, GIRLING St Lukes, (O')SULLIVAN Islington, CUTHBERTSON Holborn, Clerkenwell & Victoria

Offline poppymilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 January 08 20:11 GMT (UK) »
hi thanks my gr gr gr grandfather was living their in1905 when he died if you get a photo let me know
ta
Hendricks from london
Bourlets from london