Author Topic: William Ralph Burrows Artist  (Read 6959 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Ralph Burrows Artist
« on: Wednesday 28 February 07 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

William Ralph Burrows was born in Beeston Notts 1858. He married Elizabeth Fish born c1855 in Nottm in 1897. They moved to Rothley.

1891 census He was at Church Lane, Rothley.

1901 census He was a boarder at Anthony St as a widower.

Did Elizabeth have a child and die in childbirth?

William Ralph was a watercolour artist. He taught at a school, but which one? He also sold paintings. We as a family have 2 paintings, Swithland Woods and Cossall.

I would like to know:

When he died
When his wife died
If they had children
More about his art
Where he taught
If any paintings are for sale or available, or copies of those not available
Anything else about him

Thanks

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Ralph Burrows Artist
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I unintentionally seem to be following you from the Notts board  :)
Some of my family are from Leicestershire and I have a Burial index which covers Rothley but there are no mention of any Burrows as the index only goes to about 1891.
But there is a lovely village history you can find from this link…..

http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/rothley/17920.html

There you will find BURIALS IN ROTHLEY CEMETERY 1904-1954  and the burial for ;

Burrows William Ralph 16/3/1946 Aged 88 years

Also you will find him in the Historical Directories mentioned a couple of times.
1892 and very interestingly in 1916 as a private resident in a house called the Laurels in Rothley, if you try the name William Ralph Burrows and Burrows William Ralph you get a different result, of what I think says assistant master at a Grammar School in Lutterworth.

If you google and type "ebay William Ralph Burrows" you will see one of his paintings of “THE PRIEST'S MEADOW”  was up for sale on 22nd of February so you have only just missed it, but I don’t think it sold.

I hope someone else can give you some more answers.

Best of luck

Sheila

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Looks like through his sister Louie Burrows, he was in the circle of DH Lawrence.  How wonderful!  :D

Do a "find" for William Ralph on this page:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mss/online/online-mss-catalogues/cats/labcat.html

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 07 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks to both Sheila and Prue your information helps alot. There are at least 4 William Ralph Burrows in the tree. WR b.1829 had among others 3 sons, WR b 1858, George and Alfred. George had a WR b 1884 and Alfred had Louie b 1864 and WR b 1888.

WR the artist was born in 1858 and is the son of WR b 1829. This makes WR the artist cousin of Louie.

Louie is my 1st cousin twice removed, according to Family Tree Maker. She was the prototype for Ursula Brangwen in the Rainbow by DH Lawrence. The Rainbow was set in Cossall on the Notts/Derbys border and there is a window dedicated to the family in Cossall church. The family lived in Church Cottage next to the church in Cosall.

I have photos of WR the artist and of Louie but cannot attach them on this board.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 07 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
Pleased to have been able to help,you are lucky to have such interesting people in your tree, I am quite envious!

Is this a marriage of your WRB?

SeptQ 1901 Barrow S (covers Rothley)
Burrows  William Ralph     Barrow S.  7a 325
CHADFIELD  Martha Isabel     Barrow S.  7a 325

A couple of people on "Worldconnect" have Martha on their tree with WRB as her husband, seems that she was a school teacher born in Rothley.

Sheila.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 07 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila

He was quite old if it is but I will send off for the certificate. I have also contacted the people on World Connect so thanks for that link.

He is my great grandpas brother and Burrows was my maiden name so this is very important to me. I have got a lot further back but family history is more than huge lists of names. I seem to have homed in on him as he is interesting, I have also recently taken up watercolour lessons as I have been tryiing to paint for 2 years from books. We have 2 paintings of his which I have always loved which were in Grandpas house when I was a child and are now in Mums house. I hope eventually they will be in my house.

Jane

Offline chaddy47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Milo 1996-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 July 10 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have learnt a lot about William Ralph Burrows from all of your posts and found it very informative, although I already knew that he was an artist but did not know he originated from Nottingham and was not aware that he was previously married.

I am related to the William Ralph Burrows of Rothley he married my Great Great Aunt Martha Isobel in 1901. I beleive they may have met whilst she was a teacher at the second victorian school situated on School Lane, Rothley. Where William was an Headmaster from 1883-1897 .

link to http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/rothley/rothleyschool1871-1992.html

Sue
Chadfield's Rothley, Derbyshire, Manchester and London.

Offline coville bloke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 17:54 BST (UK) »
I have a painting by the artist   W. R. Burrows, if anyone is interested do please email me. Regards Anthony

Offline Alison2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 October 19 10:26 BST (UK) »
To Jane Swan

Hi Jane, I realise the threads go back many years and Im not sure if you are still active on this site.

I was trying to trace the artist of a lovely painting I own by WR Burrows. I found that it is the gentleman who you are related to.

I collect a lot of art , it was the painting that got me started. Really lovely lilac tones which look like heather on a hillside. I will try to work out how to attach some photos for you  :) I don't know if that is possible?

Best wishes

Alison