Author Topic: Birth Charles Allen  (Read 8507 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Charles Allen
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

OK--Let's start with this one:

1) When did Charles Allen marry to whom and where? How old was he at the time of marriage? (Is this marriage entry where it shows no age, correct?)

2) Is your friend very certain that he was brought up in the orphanage? If so, perhaps she could try and write to the orphanage to see if they have any record on him?

3) How old was Charles Allen at time of his death?

I will try and help you with this.

Cheers,

Tees

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Maggie, there were a number of David Allen's who married in the County Antrim area in the years around 1906 so it may be a little tricky tying one down to your Charles until you can share a bit more info (see Tees questions above). Did both the marriage and death certificate record the father as David?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Maggie,

There is a lot of David Allen marriages in Co Antrim in the right timeframe.

So, I am afraid that you would have to use this service on www.familyulster.com to look up on Charles' birth in the indexes.

You only pay one pound for each year to look up and they will tell you whether he is in there or not.

It will enable you to obtain his birth entry and it will tell you of his parentage.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

Another suggestion would be to post David Allen's death in WWI to see if he had served in the Army or the Navy?

David Allen is a bit too common to start with.  That is something we have to consider about.

Kind regards,

Tees

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the CWGC website and can see about 20 David Allen deaths in WW1. At least two were from Irish regiments which could indicate they came from Ireland, although it is not always the case (likewise, some men from Ireland joined English, Scottish, Welsh etc regiments). The most likely to try are the two who were with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, as they certainly did recrute in the Antrim area at that time. For a small donation, you can ask the Inniskilling Museum to check what they have on file for both these chaps. You never know, the records may make mention of his child/ren.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline maggie65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Charles Allen was married 1931 in The town of Moyle Dunluce. He married Mary Elizabeth Hunter. The Park priestland was Marys address. They were presbyterian. No ages given and his father was noted as David  Allen Labourer. Didnt say if he was deceased at that time. I have that cert from Ulster ancestry.

Charles died in 1969 in Dunfermline at the age of 63, said his birthday was Jan 18th 1906 , On the obituary it claims he was born in Belfast.

They dont know the name of the orphanage supposed to be in Bangor but I had searched that on the internet and was told  that the orphanages there were no more.
I searched on Scotlands People looking for his birth just in case he was born in Scotland but no luck.

It would be great if you could find something.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie!

Thanks for answering my questions--saw the marriage entry on your Charles. It is correct after all.

Did he have any brothers or sisters--does your friend know of?

It sometimes help in narrowing Allen births.

Since you have a specific birth date, he may be registered very late. Again, it is worth a try to put a request with www.familyulster.com and they will check the birth indexes. Perhaps his first name was not Charles but a middle name at the time of his birth?

OK--I think you would have to put a post on Co Down board ask anyone knows of the orphanage in Bangor to see if anyone could help you out.

Kind regards,

Tees

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you already asked Family Ulster to check the index for the Quarter before/after the birthdate you have?

Offline maggie65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I did post a message on the antrim board and was told there were no orphanages in Bangor.

I will try the website you mentioned and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.