Author Topic: London Lookup Request - John Sturdy JONES birth circa 1816  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
London Lookup Request - John Sturdy JONES birth circa 1816
« on: Wednesday 07 March 07 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I am probably asking the impossible but I am seeking assistance from anyone who maybe able to find any record (Birth or otherwise) of my g/g/g/grandfather a John Sturdy (also Sturday) JONES.

What little is known of his origins comes from his death certificate in Australia dated the 26th June, 1896. Here it recorded his age as 80 years, place of birth London, England. Parents JONES (No names). Father Ivory Turner. That he had been in Australia for 64 years.

These details give him a date of birth around 1816 and arrival in Australia in 1832. For all of his known life in Australia he was a Tailor by Trade and believed to have been a lay preacher at a Wesleyan Church in Sydney, NSW. He married 4 times with his 1st children being named William, John, James,  Louisa, George and Samuel. All the children used the middle name "Sturdy" including the daughter "Sturdie"

I can place him in Australia with certainty in 1841 at the time of his second marriage. The 1st occurred (I believe) in 1840 but only last a few months when the bride died.

Any leads on "Sturdy" JONES would be very much appreciated or if anyone also knows of a way of checking for records of apprenticeship tailors in London around this time.

Many thanks from Australia

STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: London Lookup Request - John Sturdy JONES birth circa 1816
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 23:36 GMT (UK) »
This might be a very big longshot, but found the following marriage on Boyds index.

Rob JONES
Joan STURDY

1683  -  St. James Dukes Place, LOndon

::) ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meliora

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: London Lookup Request - John Sturdy JONES birth circa 1816
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 07 09:07 GMT (UK) »

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/