Author Topic: Walter Ramsay Munn  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Nick Rice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Walter Ramsay Munn
« on: Thursday 25 November 04 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone

I am trying to trace a passenger list which lists my g-g-grandfather Walter Ramsay Munn b.1857 Shettlestone Glasgow who emigrated to the U.S.A in 1881/1882. We know that he settled in Streator U.S.A and that he travelled most probably with his brother William. I already have a record of him making a return to Scotland in 1889 as I have found a record of his return voyage on the Ellis Island site but I do not seem able to find a record of his original trip to the U.S.A. If anyone can help I would be eternally grateful.

All the best.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Ramsay Munn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 November 04 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what state he lived in the US?  That may help narrow him down.  - Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Ramsay Munn
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 November 04 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This site will show you the localities of counties in Illinois.
Streator is located in La Salle.
http://www.ilgenweb.com/ilgenmap.htm

I found the following that may be of interest.

Walter Munn found in:

Passenger and Immigration Index, 1500s-1900s
Place:  Illinois     Year:  1894     
Primary immigrant:  Munn, Walter     
Permanent entry number:  917160     
Source publication code:  3703.1     
Source publication page number:  102     
Source publication:  KANE COUNTY, ILLINOIS NATURALIZATION RECORDS, 1857-1906. Geneva, IL: Kane County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 504, Geneva, IL 60134, 1988. 162p.     
Source annotation:  Date and place of declaration of intent or final papers. Extracted from records of the Elgin and Aurora City Courts and the Kane County Court/Circuit Court housed at the Circuit Court office in Geneva, the county seat. Copies of the original documents can be obtained from the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Kane County, Illinois, Box 112, Geneva, IL 60134

Walter Munn found in:

Passenger and Immigration Index, 1500s-1900s
Place:  Illinois     Year:  1890     
Primary immigrant:  Munn, Walter     
Permanent entry number:  917159     
Source publication code:  3703.1     
Source publication page number:  102     
Source publication:  KANE COUNTY, ILLINOIS NATURALIZATION RECORDS, 1857-1906. Geneva, IL: Kane County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 504, Geneva, IL 60134, 1988. 162p.     
Source annotation:  Date and place of declaration of intent or final papers. Extracted from records of the Elgin and Aurora City Courts and the Kane County Court/Circuit Court housed at the Circuit Court office in Geneva, the county seat. Copies of the original documents can be obtained from the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Kane County, Illinois, Box 112, Geneva, IL 60134

and

Walter Munn found in:

Passenger and Immigration Lists: Massachusetts, 1884
Arrival Date:  Sep 23, 1884     
Port of Arrival:  Boston, Massachusetts     
Port of Departure:  Glasgow & Derry & Galway     
Page #:  551     

This Walter travelled with Agnes and Elizabeth MUNN

Data Information on the above:
These passenger lists are important primary sources of arrival data for the vast majority of immigrants to the United States in the nineteenth century. With the single exception of federal census records they are the largest, the most continuous, and the most uniform body of records of the entire country.(Michael Tepper. American Passenger Arrival Records Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc. 1993. Page 64.)

Please note that just because information is not included as part of an individual's record in this data set does not mean that it is not part of the original record. Determining additional information or verifying the information listed here is easy since the list number, which distinguishes which passenger list the entry came from on roll 95, is included in each record. With this information, you can contact or visit your local National Archive facility to do more research

No way of knowing if this is your Walter, but worth a shot.

Regards,
Valerie
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk