Author Topic: just starting out  (Read 965 times)

Offline Makayla77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
just starting out
« on: Thursday 08 March 07 16:02 GMT (UK) »
im just starting my family tree .i am looking at the craggs family from durham and west yorkshire. and the douglas/ellis in yorkshire.could someone please give me some tips on where i should start
makayla
Douglas and Ellis: Yorkshire
Craggs: Durham/yorkshire
Bailey:Yorkshire/notts/shropshire
Clavering: Durham
Bradford: Yorkshire
Buttery: Shropshire/notts
Robinson: Durham
Golightly: Durham

Steele: Yorkshire
Atkinson: Yorkshire
Paskin: Yorkshire
Yarrow: Yorkshire

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: just starting out
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 07 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Makayla,  Welcome to Rootschat  :D

Start with what you know for sure, ask relatives for what they know, and work backwards. Look for the families in census records, and if in doubt, ask for help on the rootschat boards

There are lots of websites you can search, have you looked at any of them yet?

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 07 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Should have listed them for you

for a start:

for births marriages and deaths:
www.freebmd.org.uk
www.ancestry.co.uk
www.durhamrecordsonline.com
www.familysearch.org
www.familyhistoryonline.net

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Paul E

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 07 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Makayla

My top tip is to spend as little money as possible as you start out - it can get pretty expensive if you're not careful.

Use whatever free resources are out there first.  As Barbara says, asking the oldest relatives you can find about their family and parents / grandparents is a good start (but treat any information with a certain caution as memory can be fallible).

The 1881 Census is freely available at www.familysearch.org, so if you can get back that far from living memory, you're onto a good start.

Here on Rootschat people are happy to do 'look-ups' for you in this and other censuses, until you find your feet.   For example, if you know the name of Craggs family members around 1901, you could post on the Durham or Yorkshire Board here on Rootschat asking for a look-up in the 1901 census.

Whereabouts in Durham were your Craggs family?

If you look right at the bottom of any page in Rootschat you'll see 'Your Surname Interests' - click on that and search for Craggs in Durham or Yorkshire to fin other people on Rootschat with Craggs in their tree.   Ive actually got some myself!  ;D

Best wishes

Paul

PS

Just noticed those links Barbara has posted - they'll get you off to a flying start!

Offline Makayla77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 07 16:28 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your messages, ill check the sites! My Craggs are from Thorney in Durham. My great grandad, Benjamin Clavering Craggs was born there in 1919, im trying to find out his parents now.

Makayla.
Douglas and Ellis: Yorkshire
Craggs: Durham/yorkshire
Bailey:Yorkshire/notts/shropshire
Clavering: Durham
Bradford: Yorkshire
Buttery: Shropshire/notts
Robinson: Durham
Golightly: Durham

Steele: Yorkshire
Atkinson: Yorkshire
Paskin: Yorkshire
Yarrow: Yorkshire

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 07 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Benjamin C. Craggs registered July-september quarter  (usually noted as just Sept) 1919 in Easington  Ref 10a 883 Mothers maiden name Swales
the reference number is for if you order the cert.from the Government records office..it means nothing to local offices.
you can order it online on www.gro.gov.uk 
 or you can write to easington registration office with a cheque for £7

another(pay)  site is www.findmypast.com   but the bdm info is available free on www.ancestry.co.uk..often a question of just trawling through the indexes.

hope that helps
jed

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 07 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Two threads running now with duplicate information!
see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,219424.msg1145910.html#msg1145910