Author Topic: Birth of Sarah McNAUGHTON Campbelltown circa 1820  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
Birth of Sarah McNAUGHTON Campbelltown circa 1820
« on: Saturday 10 March 07 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am attempting to locate any record of the birth of my g/g/g/g/grandmother - Sarah McNAUGHTON or her immediate family.

It appears sSarah married a Gilbert MILES (later MILLS) in 1839 with the incorrect surname of "DOCHERTY" recorded within the OPR.

The 1851 Census found Gilbert and Sarah in Anderston, Glasgow were her age was given as 33 (DOB approx 1818) and place of birth Campbelltown, Argylshire.

In 1862 Sarah MILLS came to Australia with her daughter Grace. Gilbert has believed to have died in 1851. On coming to Australia Sarah gave he age as 40. (DOB approx 1822).

In 1863 Sarah re-married at which time she gave her age as 42 (DOB approx 1821) giving her place of birth Campbelltown, Argylshire. Father John McNAUGHTON (Shoemaker) and mother Agnes McDougall.

Sarah died in 1894 at which time it was recorded that she was 72 (DOB approx 1822) again the parents were recorded the same as above however her place of birth was recorded as Largs, Scotland?  Her father again was noted to be a shoemaker

The only known children to Sarah were Grace, John, William and possibly a Margaret in that order.

Any information or advice in pin-pointing Sarah's origins or immediate family members would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards from Australia
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Sarah McNAUGHTON Campbelltown circa 1820
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sturdy

Largs is in Ayrshire......

This is a transcription of the 1841 for your family:
1841: Gorbals, Lanarkshire
Ref: Parish 644/2, ED 22, pg 8
Address: Commerce Street
Gilbert MILLS 25, Tailor J - N
Sarrah MILLS 20 - N
Grace MILLS 2 - Y

I know this seems way off  for Sarah & Grace in 1861 - but I wonder: it's the places of birth that make me look twice at it!  And the Ayr connection.  The original would need to be checked  for "Mary"s  name spelling, her marital status and POB spelling, and for Grace's age  -  as this is a transcription transcript only - it could well be a poor transcript:

1861: Ayr, Ayrshire
Ref:  Parish 578, ED 14, pg 4
Address: 13 Wellington Sq 
Servant: Mary MILLS, 50,  Domestic Servant, b Cumberlow, Argyleshire
Servant: Grace MILLS 17, Kitchen Maid. b Glasgow Lanarkshire
In the household of Robert ROBERTSON , 63, and his family

Per the 1851 children in the houshold:
Grace was the eldest (born  abt 1839 Glasgow)
John was 9 in 1851 (born abt 1842 Glasgow)
William was 7 in 1851 (born abt 1844 Glasgow)

DId the boys stay in Scotland or follow/precede her to Australia, do you know?
as if may be interesting to know what M/S they and Grace give for their mother on their own marriage certs (if they married!)?

Cheers  ;D
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Sarah McNAUGHTON Campbelltown circa 1820
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ambly for taking the time to reply and the information you have provided. The MILLS family in the 1841 census, for which you supplied the information, is most certainly my family thank you.

In terms of the Mary MILLS and Grace MILLS in Ayrshire I am not sure what to make of them or what connection if any to my Grace MILLS?

You asked about the boys. Williams MILLS (MILES) definitely went to Australia but I don't know when. When Sarah (mother) died in Aust in 1894 William was listed as the informant aged 42. Also recorded living was "Maggie" no age or location given. 2 children were recorded as deceased but no names given. I know Grace died in 1881 in Aust. That leaves John who must have died between 1851 and 1894. Possibly in Scotland?

I will have to keep searching for a mention of them somewhere?

Thanks again, regards Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -