Author Topic: Kingston Census lookup for Day, please ?  (Read 4293 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Kingston Census lookup for Day, please ?
« on: Monday 12 March 07 03:22 GMT (UK) »
My daughter's ancestor was born Charlotte Day, around 1869 in Kingston, Surrey. According to her marriage certificate, her father was Henry Day, a painter.

Would anyone be able to find her with her family in 1871 and the whole family in any earlier censuses??

Any extra info such as address and boarders I have usually found to be very helpful as well!

cheers,
ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Kingston Census lookup for Day, please ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 March 07 08:20 GMT (UK) »

DAY
Henry - 37 - painter - born Kingston on Thames
Jane - 33 - born Hounslow,Mddx
William - 13 - lab.
Sarah - 12
Jane - 10
Harry - 7
James - 6
Thomas - 4
Charlotte - 2

all the children born K on T

William COLLINS - 30 - lodger - painter - born K on T

37 Mill Place
RG10/859  -  KIngston on Thames
Folio 72
Page 35
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 March 07 08:28 GMT (UK) »

DAY
William - 58 - market gardener - born Kingston on Thames
Sarah - 52 - wife - born Halifax, Yorkshire
Henry - 27 - son - sergeant in 3rd Surrey militia - born Kingston
Jane - 23 - born Hounslow
William - 3
Sarah - 2
Jane - 10 months
Mary DAVEY - 10 - visitor - born Hounslow

1 Mill Lane
RG9/455  -  Kingston on Thames
Folio 79
Page 31

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 March 07 08:38 GMT (UK) »

DAY
William - 48 - ag lab - born Kingston
Sarah - 44 - born Halifax
Henry - 17 - born Kingston

Middle, Mill Lane
HO107/1603  -  Kingston
Folio 436
Page 10

----------------------

The same people at the same address in 1841.

HO107/1075/3  -  Kingston
Folio 41
Page 5

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 March 07 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I don't know what's happened here but I replied to this posting this morning & it's not showing  ???  My information was the same as Suffolk-Sue's but I had added that there was also a Charlotte A. Day in the area, d/o Thomas & Elizabeth.  Thomas was a carpenter, Charlotte aged 3  all born Kingston.  Also, FreeBMD has a birth reg. for Charlotte Day, March Q 1869, Kingston (2a 284)

Confused  :-\
jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 March 07 16:28 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thank you so much "Suffolk-Sue" and Jane. Your efforts are much appreciated!

Amazing how one bit of information (ie a father's name) can lead to so much more!!! I had also noted that there was a Charlotte Amy Day born around the right time (she also has an IGI record so I knew her father was Thomas). Until I had "my" Charlotte's father's name, she was a candidate. I'm pretty sure the two Charlottes would be cousins, though.

I found that, according to the 1881 census, Henry's father William (b C1802), who was living with him, was  also from Kingston. (You've found him as well, thank you!) I've noticed with the Free BMD births and deaths that there were many Day individuals in Kingston, with similar first names and some (from the 1901 census) doing similar occupations, that I have a feeling many (if not all in the area) are related. If Henry's father was from the area, it stands to reason he had siblings and that they had families as well. This is certainly a line for me to explore.  It does help when they stay in one place!

If the 1841 census has the same people as 1851 (just a little less info, I guess?), then it would seem that William and Sarah had only one (surving) child, Henry?

Also from the 1881 census, a step daughter to Henry, Sarah, was living with the family (as well as her husband), indicating that Jane might have had a child previously (married or not). I also note now (1871) that there was an older child William, perhaps also Jane's before Henry, as he is older than Sarah. Free BMD marriage record indicates that Sarah has the surname Day when she married, so the children likely took their step-dad's name. Does the 1871 indicate that William and Sarah are son and daughter of Henry?

I haven't found a definitave marriage for Henry and Jane ( it would likely be between around 1859/60, but didn't find one in Kingston so it's hard to decide) - so I don't know Jane's surname or if she was widowed.

Again, thanks so much for your time and effort!

sincerely,
ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 March 07 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Could I trouble you for another look-up  ;D??
In 1881 William (father) was living with Henry. Can you find him in 1871? Is Sarah still living then?
cheers,
ard

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 March 07 17:11 GMT (UK) »

DAY
William - 60 - labourer
Sarah - 60 - laundress

both stated as born in Kingston

10 Fairfield Ct.
RG10/859  -  Kingston
Folio 57
Page 5

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 March 07 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Death

Sarah DAY
Dec qtr
Kingston
Vol 2a
Page 158
age 71yrs

-----------------

William DAY
Mar qtr
Kingston