Author Topic: hayes family  (Read 22706 times)

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hayes family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 March 07 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Well Jane Hayes was my ggg grandmother. There are other "Hayes's" which were born in Grasmere who were nurserymen and gardeners, which is where the garden centre came from. I'm thinking somewhere down the way i am probably related but god knows how as I'm stuck on Jane!

Offline harryhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 October 08 13:58 BST (UK) »
Don,t think this is directly connected to the above but wonder if any of the following rings a bell.  My family flitted back and forth to westmorland over the years.
William Hayes to Wm and Mary 1803 Cheltenham  Nothing  else.
William marries Mary Camm,of Lancaster, Kendal 1832
Thomas Hay born to above Kendal 1833.
Jane born 1839 Warrington.(also, variously, Richard, Charles and James)
William died in Lancaster.
Thomas was a gardener/ nurseryman in Kendal for yonks, died there in 1906.
William was a gardener.  Could be a connection with the Hayes garden centre, but can,t follow that through.
If any of the above rings a bell, or anyone can make a connection between Cheltenham/ Kendal/ Lancaster, it would be good news.  Another slightly interesting point is that William gave himself a middle name , Arkley (soundex).  Not a family name as far as I know.
Happy days

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 October 08 14:18 BST (UK) »
I think it must have been quite a common name in the area around their time. I cant find a connection with the garden centre as yet.
None of your names or areas ring a bell with my lot, but have come to a sticking point with that side of my family. If i do find anything more out when i get back onto that side i will post another entry

Offline harryhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 October 08 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest.  James Hayes, son of william, was a groom at angel yard,Kendal, 1861.
I am old enough to be asking them in person shortly.  will include your query as well.

Best wishes   Happy days

Offline helenc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I just started researching yesterday so was fascinated to find your discussions in 2007 about Jane Hayes.  I have a great great grandmother who's name was Jane Hayes before she married - her married name was Robinson.  Family stories say Jane rang the bell at Wordsworth's funeral because the sexton was ill - 1850 - she was apparently visiting her sister and so was young at the time. All this is quite vague but I wondered what you had found out about your Jane just in case there is any link.

Regards

Helen Collier

Offline harryhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,
No, simply cannot find her after the 1851 census in Warrington.  Not with her parents on the 1861 (Lancaster).
Don,t think she had a sister.  Jane was born 6..3.39, Warrington to William Hay(es)/ Mary Camm of Lancaster.
The family spent most of their life from1850s onwards in Lancaster and Kendal.
Searched high and low to find a marriage or death for Jane but no good.
If anything there interests you please let me know
Will look into what you posted - sounds fascinating anyway.

Might I just add - possibly  a co-incidence.- a John dixon is mentioned in an earlier posting.  The 1861 census i refer to above has the hayes clan (no Jane) living at the Sun inn,Lancaster, Thomas Dixon being the licensee.  Mary Hayes (Camm) 1805 Lancaster, was born to Thomas Camm and Margaret (formerly Dixon)

Best wishes   Happy days

Offline helenc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 April 09 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have had a break through with my Jane Hayes who was born in Rydal 1837. In the 1851 census she is with her parents in Grasmere living at the Rectory - latter I found she married Mossop Tomlinson which then fixes her into my other links. So I think we are on two different ones.  She was in the right place to toll the bell - although the story that she was with her sister doesn't seem to be accurate.

Helen

Offline harryhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 April 09 11:03 BST (UK) »
  Ho hum. Well done you.  I'll keep searching.
Best wishes  Happy days

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 April 09 12:14 BST (UK) »
Helen
Yes my jane hayes married my mossop tomlinson in egremont. from what i can figure out, it looks as though jane was working for the rector of grasmere and living there too. its all very confusing. i havent got my details to hand at the mo but will dig them out!