Author Topic: Ralph Glasgow/Elizabeth Jackson  (Read 8335 times)

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ralph Glasgow/Elizabeth Jackson
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 July 07 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have two entries for Ralph Glasgow and Elizabeth Jackson for the poor law, would you like me to print it online, or if you like to email me privately, i could arrange to send it for you

Mary

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 July 07 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,
I just requested copies of 2 records from the Poorhouse and they sent me one correct one and one incorrect one!  So if you are able to print them online, I would really appreciate that.  Is the Glasgow family in your genealogy?
Thanks for your message and for sharing this info with me!
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 July 07 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea, What copy did you get sent? was it 74512-271 or 13506, no Glasgow is not my line, I just noticed your request when I was browsing, and as I was going to the Mitchell, I looked it up for you, I am always pleased if someone can help me, so it is nice to return the favour sometimes

Mary

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 July 07 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,
Sorry about that!  The one I received that was correct was 74512-271 so it's the 13506 I am after.  Thanks so much for that.    I think we all understand how precious every bit of information is so if we can all help each other, it's a good feeling!
Andrea

Offline Glesca lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 July 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea. Here goes,

Elizabeth Jackson wife of Ralph Glasgow age 24 years born in Tobago Street,  living in Female house of Refuge Parly Road , he is with father at 20 Old Dalmarnock Road, she is a millworker and he is a flesher said to be with Murray Cowcaddens, children Rosina 6 years born low green street, Ralph 4 and a half years  born old Dalmarnock Road, Isabella 1and a half years born Keir St  Her parents John Jackson and Sarah McMillan both living. his parents Ralph Glasgow and Agnes McLean both living  Places of residence after marriage

London Road 1mth
Kelvin Green 1yr
Kelvin 2yrs
Old Dalmarnock Road 1yr
New City Road 2yrs

The applicants husband has been several times at sea before,after marriage, the children she states are with her husband,  the husband and wife have been for sometime past seperated, he refusing to support her in the smallest shape, hope this helps, she looks as if she has had a hrd time

Mary

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 July 07 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea and Mary

I have been following this thread to see if we got to the bottom of Elizabeth and Ralph.

Certainly sounds like the DC you found for 1865 was Elizabeth's. As you say Mary, sad end for her. That was kind of you to look it all up and post.

As for Ralph, I wonder if Mary's notes from the Poor Relief Application hold some clues with him being on/off at sea (as well as a butcher). Maybe that's where his death occurred, at sea?

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotty28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 August 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
Sorry about the delay in responding but Ralph is proving to be a bit of a mystery as you found out. He did indeed marry Mary ,Watson in Cambridge,Massachusetts although she previously been married to a James Broadfoot in Tradeston,City of Glasgow in 1855, her parents were John and Mary Watson ,this is detailed in the marriage records for Cambridge, Mass. I could not find any record of  James's death prior to her second marriage in 1873 so I'm guessing divorce !! Can you tell me what relation Ralph is to you please.
regards
Ian

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 31 August 15 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Ralph was my great, great grandfather on my mother's side. Although there is a chance he might not actually be!  He left his first wife Elisabeth Jackson, as he didn't believe their daughter Isabella (my great grandmother) was his child. As we will never know this for sure, I've just made the assumption that he was in order to keep researching the family tree! I also not long ago, wondered what happened to Mary's first husband James and eventually found his death record in England.  He died January 1873 which was probably why Mary and Ralph got married in the following April!  In the 1871 England census, he is living (or staying) with his mother Marion in Lancashire.  Not sure why or when she moved from Scotland to England. James Broadfoot also had his and Mary's children with him: Marion, James and Mary.  If there is any other info I might be able to give you, feel free to ask!
Kind regards,
Andrea

Offline granthoskin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

I found your threads on here in the process of my own family tree research. If I'm on the right path then I believe that your great great grandfather Ralph Glasgow is my 3rd great grandfather. I'm not sure if you've done any research on any of Ralph's other children but it seems that he has definitely passed on certain traits ;).

His daughter Janet is listed as the mother of my great great grandfather (William Nicholson Hoskin) on his Birth Certificate. Janet married the father on the birth certificate (Sydney Hoskin) around a year later. Both Janet and Sydney were in their late 30s when William was born, and Sydney had been married at least once (possibly twice) before Janet. I found Janet's birth certificate also: her father is listed as Ralph Glasgow, her mother Mary Watson. No marriage date is listed for her parents and her birth certificate is marked 'Illegitimate'.

I'm still very much in the early stages of my research but thought I'd share in the hope that you maybe had a few extra details that could fill in some gaps. Thanks a lot for the info you've already shared on here as it has been useful!

Thanks,
Grant