Author Topic: Roderick McDonald in Dingwall  (Read 2854 times)

Offline happybop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Roderick McDonald in Dingwall
« on: Saturday 17 March 07 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am searching for information on the parents of Roderick McDonald born 1 Dec 1850 in Dingwall, moved to Devon in 1870s (m. 1877 in Stoke Damerel).  His father was also called Roderick and was a moulder, according to his marriage cert.

The only Roderick McDonald I can find born at that time is on the 1851 census, living with his grandmother Ann Dunbar, his mother could be one of Ann's daughters.

Thanks for any help.

happybop

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick McDonald in Dingwall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello 'happybop',

This may be a complete red herring but I have found the following on 'scotlandspeople'.

Robert McDonald, parent Rodk Somebody (but not McDonald), born 1851 in Fodderty parish, R &C.
Fodderty parish is next door to Dingwall parish.
The short version of Roderick has been used, namely Rodk.

I can find no male M*cDonald's born in 1850 in Dingwall which makes your details questionable.

Postscript

Just noticed the  birth of Robert is on the IGI section of familysearch.org to a Rodk Mc Donald and Janet Finlayson

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline grahamsittee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick McDonald in Dingwall
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 15 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know that this is a very old string but I wondered if you have had any luck with progressing up the Roderick McDonald line? He was my paternal grandfather so I am interested in any information you may have on him.