Author Topic: Hounam families, Langholm  (Read 8428 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Hounam families, Langholm
« on: Saturday 17 March 07 16:19 GMT (UK) »
As I've reached brickwalls on a lot of my other lines I just thought I'd ask if anyone is searching for Hounam families, especially in and around the Langholm area?

The earliest I can get back to (and many thanks to those who have helped me so far! ;D) is one John Hounam, b.1651 and married to Janet Hetherington, 1678.

Any ideas?
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Re: Hounam families, Langholm
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 January 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
.....two years on and I'm rooting about in the family tree, still looking for other Hounam researchers!

or am I all alone?  :'(
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Wul

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 January 09 19:20 GMT (UK) »

Offline LucyGray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 February 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stoney,

Just joined rootschat at the weekend and saw your message. I am also researching the Hounam family. Christopher Hounam and Agnes Johnstone were my great, great, great grandparents.

Have you been up to Langholm to The Auld Kirkyard at Drove Road and Wauchope Kirkyard ? There are many Hounams buried in both. There is also a interesting story regarding the Hounams in Langholm As it Was (an old book written by John Hyslop) Perhaps you have read it.
I am assuming that one of your relatives was David J Beattie if so then you will be aware of the local book Oor Ain Folk which he wrote. There are references in there to the Hounams and burials in the Auld Kirkyard.
 I am still researching but it gets more difficult the further back we go.
Good wishes with your search
Lucy

Canonbie: Armstrong, Bell, Dickson,Dixon, Davidson, Little, Barclay,Carruthers,Byers, Baty, Murray, Mccorquindale, Scott, Calvert,
Langholm :  Reid, Johnstone, Cowan, Hounam
Castleton : Irving, Pott, Oliver, Murray, Armstrong

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stoney

I think we've been in touch before about the Hounams and the elusive Samuel Wolves.

The Archive Centre in Langholm is putting up several resources and recently put on one about customers of James Scott, Merchant, Claygate.  Down at the foot of the list is a mention of Samuel Wolves, a customer of his in Langholm.

I saw the original document several years ago, and Samuel had purchased 2 (undecipherable) of whisky from him.

And by a coincidence, at Claygate today, there's a WW1 memorial stone which records, amongst others, a former pupil of Gilnockie School, Sam W Hounam, the "W" for Wolves. 

The Archive Centre's web address is http://www.langholmarchive.com/ and this info is on the Resources page.

WalterC
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline daftcatdarcy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 August 09 09:52 BST (UK) »
I'm researching Wigtownshire War Memorials and came across your posting.  There is a Samuel Wolves Hounam on Stoneykirk Parish War Memorial in Sandhead.  He's the same one as you have I think, his parents were married in Stoneykirk.  If you've any more information on him I'd be pleased to hear about it too.

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 August 09 14:38 BST (UK) »
There's a bit more about Samuel Hounam at http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic44.html and also there was a long obituary to him in "The Eskdale and Liddesdale Advertiser" shortly after his death. He wasn't killed in action but, if memory serves me correctly from a brain tumour.

Samuel is also mentioned on Canonbie War Memorial, Canonbie Church Memorial, Gilnockie School Memorial and (I haven't seen this one to confirm it) the Edinburgh University War Memorial.

Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline daftcatdarcy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 August 09 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Walter - mystery solved - couldn't find him on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site, but he's there on the Scottish National War Memorial.

Offline jaloho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 August 09 13:03 BST (UK) »
Noticed your message while surfing and joined Rootschat to reply! I am a Hounam and I've done quite a bit of family history researching over the last few years. I am a descendant of John Hounam b. 1651 via Adam Hounam (b. Langholm 1745) and Abraham Hounam (b.1858 Alston, Cumberland). I do not have definite proof, but I believe John Hounam(b.1651) may have come from the Melrose area - there were several Hounams there in the middle of the 17th century (when the parish records began). A John Hounam was born at Bridgend, Melrose on 5 Nov 1648.