Author Topic: Honoria Larkin and Michael Denis Ahern  (Read 10970 times)

Offline Limgal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Honoria Larkin and Michael Denis Ahern
« on: Monday 19 March 07 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Honoria and Michael were born around the 1820s. From my information, the Larkins lived in Commons, Tour. Does anyone know where that is?

The Aherns were originally from Athea and I know there are lots of Aherns there but I don`t know where Michael Denis Ahern fits in with these Aherns.

I do know that this couple had seven children James, Michael, Denis, Daniel, William, Mary and Ellen. And I have followed Ellen`s birth(@ 1852) and subsequent marriage in Melbourne to James Jacob Francis.

James Ahern was my great grandfather. He married Brigid Casey, daughter of Pat Casey and Mary Cahill(Ahane, Brosna). They had five sons two of whom were born in Kerry(Duagh or Brosna) before the family moved to Moanleana, parish of Mahoonagh in Limerick.

Any of this ring a bell with anyone?

Limgal

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Honoria Larkin and Michael Denis Ahern
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi just from reading your post I said I would let you know one possible place that may fit the bill.

I grew in Newmarket Co.Cork and the area I lived in was called Taur and also The Commons. Both addresses would find my house in the post.

These areas would be around 10miles from Brosna Kerry and also not too far from the Cork/Limerick border.

Not sure about any Larkins in the area though.

Offline Limgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 February 08 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Gerard, for your input. As you probably know, in this game, every snippet of information helps, and can often steer one`s research in an entirely different direction.
`
Since posting my message I`ve confirmed that Michael Ahern and Honoria Larkin lived in Tournafulla in Limerick. I`d found a 1901 census entry for thier son James in which he had mistakenly written Tournafulla in the `county if birth`section, crossed it out and wrote Limerick above it.

So, I was thinking along the lines of the Larkins also coming from Tournafulla and that perhaps Commons was an area in Tournafulla. Perhaps it is. And perhaps Tour is a common abbreviation of Tournafulla among it`s natives?

But, now you`ve put me on another track entirely!A lot of my ancestral lines are in that Kerry/Cork/Limerick point where the three counties meet. I`ll take more care to direct my search around the Cork area too.

It mine mean a little more to someone out there though if I add that the parents of Honoria Larkin were James LARKIN and Ellen CONNELL(Knockbrack Abbeyfeale) and their children(I`m not sure if this is the birth order though) were Timothy(Thade), Peggy, Ellen, Kitty, Mary and Honoria. Honoria was born around 1820.

Now, whether they`re from Taur or Tournafulla and another Tour somewhere of other... I`ll have to keep an open mind on that one!

Thanks

Limgal

Offline curtinraiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 January 09 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if you are still following this line of enquiry. The "Commons" or "Cleanglass Commons" is a townland in the Church parish of Tournafulla/Mountcollins and in the civil Parish of Killeedy.
The Larkins have long been associated with this area, and you can find both James and Timothy Larkin there in the Griffith Valuation of the 1850s.

Tour is indeed an abbreviation that we, "natives" use for Tournafulla, and is an adjacant townland to Cleanglass.

In the townland of Tournafulla, in the Tithe valuation of the 1830's a Denis Michael Ahern is listed. By Griffith, both a Michael Ahern and a Daniel Ahern are showing. I think an inference could be drawn that the Michael here, is Michael Denis Michael Ahern, and could be the person you refer to.

Cloghvoula aka Cloch, as we "natives" might say , is a townland in the church parish of Brosna, Kerry, but in the Civil Parish of Kilmeen Co.Cork. Again here Griffith Valuation shows an Anastatia Cahill.

Hope this may be helpful.
regards

Offline curtinraiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 January 09 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Here is a link that will further help in locating the Larkins and Ahern(e)s.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/6108/gkilla.htm

This more or less proves to me that the Michael (Denis) Aherne here is one and the same to the person you may be tracing.
I presume Daniel (Denis) Aherne is his brother, and that Michael (Daniel) is his cousin.

regards

Offline Limgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your input Curtin Raiser.

I subscribed to Irish Origins for a time so I`d found the Griffith Valuation records for Michael Ahern(Denis) in their original form and with map outlining his property. Griffith Valuations are now available free on www.askaboutireland.com

According to family lore Michael Denis came from Athea originally so I`m not sure if he had any connection with the other Aherns in Tournafulla at that time.

I haven`t anything on the Tithe Valuations of the 1830s. Mind me asking where you accessed those?

I also have a Curtin in my ancestry too. Anastasia(nee Brouder) Curtin of Stagmount Rockchapel, was my g g g grandmother. Have more informatio on that line if its any use to you.

On the Tournafulla end of things I know my grandfather was a cousin of Jack Ahern(Old IRA) Nancy Ahern who had a shop in the village and Michael Ahern who used to work in a bank.

Thanks for your interest in my search

Limgal

Offline curtinraiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 January 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
I dug up the original copy of the Tithe for Killeedy, and the attached shows the first sheet (indicating Tithe completed 24th October 1832), together with some of the Tournafulla entry. When I look more closely at it I find that in fact the farm belong to a Denis and a Michael Ahern.

I got the Tithe Valuation for  a number of local Parishes, Brosna, Clonfert (Newmarket), Kilmeen, CastleIsland, Killeedy and Kilshenane photo-copied in the Mid 1980's. At that time we lived in Dublin, and I think it was from The National Library, in Kildare Street. It helped me confirm quite a lot of names and locations.

When I get a chance, I will consult with the local oral historian, and if I find any further update, I will share.

WRT to Brouder/Curtin, as far as I know, I am not linked. We were part of the Ahane, Brosna lot.

regards

Offline Tomlinna

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I am interested to find out the name of the Curtin man Anastasia married and lived in Stagmount. Also, the name of the parents of William Cahill.

I have done alot of research on Cahills both in Brosna and Rockchapel but can not seen to find the answers to these questions.
I know that these Cahills are related to the Bill Phils in Mountcollins but wanted to find out more. I believe the Caseys  were from Listowel,Co.Kerry.

Offline Limgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 February 09 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Curtin Raiser: Thanks very much for that copy of the Tithe Valuations. Not sure if they`re `my` Aherns. Does seem clear from it though that there are two separate individuals owning 30 acres in Tournafulla.

According to family lore my Micky Denis was originally from Athea. It may be that he subsequently married into Larkin property on Tournafulla. The name Michael Ahern(Denis) on Griffiths suggest that he was the son of Denis. there were other Aherns in the parish at the time so they needed some way of distinguishing ones of the same Christian name.

Anastasia Curtin was ` a first cousin of the the Brouders of Aranagh, Monagea, her mother being Anty Brouder from Aranagh" I quote from a family lore document I have handed on to me from the research of my grand uncle. She married a Cahill and they had three sons and three daughters

Brigid(who married a Geany)
William(who lived at Recastella Brosna)
Kate who married Phil O Connell Caherlevoy, and was Bill Phil`s mother
John who lived at Kilanahan Brosna
David who lived in 54 Gerald Griffin St Cork
Mary who married Pat Casey

Mary and Pat Casey had five children. Four of whom are on the national archives Kerry 1911 census:-
Residents of house number 2 in Knocknacrohy (Moynsha, Kerry)
Surname Forename Age Sex
Casey Timothy 40 Male
Casey William 36 Male
Casey Kate 38 Female
Casey Mary 31 Female

and one, Brigid, who married my great grandfather(Micky Denis`s  son) James Ahern. Brigid and James lives in Ahawilk Feohanagh Co Limerick.

Let me know if you  need/have further information

Thanks