Author Topic: Wiltshire County Records Office closing for 6 months  (Read 3021 times)

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
Wiltshire County Records Office closing for 6 months
« on: Monday 19 March 07 13:00 GMT (UK) »
The Wiltshire County Records Office in Trowbridge will be closing for 6 months from 27th April 2007 to 30th October 2007 whilst it moves to its new home in Chippenham

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/access-to-records/wiltshire-and-swindon-record-office.htm

once here I should be able to do look ups for people!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire County Records Office closing for 6 months
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I hope that there will be a limited availability of parish records etc on microfiche in Trowbridge during the move.   If so I'll continue to carry out lookups.   I hope to go to the WSRO in the next few days and will be able to give an update.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 07 09:14 BST (UK) »
The WSRO will not issue original documents and archive material after 27 April because these records will be the first to be moved to the new site at Chippenham.   They will not be available until the opening in October.

There is, however, some good news for family historians.   The Parish Record transcripts and microfiche copies of the originals will be available after 27 April.   They will be located in the reference library off the same first floor landing as the WSRO.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking, Dave - that's a relief! I'm just getting to the point of needing some more parishes checked out  ;D

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 07 21:12 BST (UK) »
I think lots of people thought that was the end of life as we know it  :) I've never seen the place so full as this week.   

Dave