Author Topic: Bryant ..from Co Cork - Glasgow  (Read 4829 times)

Offline daisymaisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bryant ..from Co Cork - Glasgow
« on: Monday 19 March 07 21:21 GMT (UK) »
My great grandad Alexander Bryant born around 1880 in Cork,died 4/9/1922 in Glasgow, was married to Amelia Morrison,on the 24th Nov 1899 in Glasgow.Iam hoping to find information on his parents James Gray Bryant and his mother (by the way this is a cracker of a name lol) Dehlia Blackbird Reilly..I know at the time they were married his father was dead but his mother was still alive.
Taggart/Aicken ..Glenarm Larne
Coutts/McGlashan..Aberdeenshire,Blair Athole
Bryant ..Co Cork
Burton.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Bryant ..from Co Cork - Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 17:43 BST (UK) »
I think your best best in the census. Do you have an address from his birth cert?

The earliest surviving complete census is 1901. This is not indexed so you need an approximate address. 1911 census is also released. These are available at the National Archives in Dublin and on film at your local family history centre. (Church of the latter day saints) http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp for your nearest. The 1911 census gives age, relationship to head of household, marital status, occupation, county of birth and for wives it give no of years married, no of children born and how many children still survive.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Sean O Callaghan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 April 07 16:46 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of Bryants in the Bandon area of Co. Cork.  I don't have communication with any of them, but it is a good Protestant name in those parts.

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 April 07 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi daisymaisy -
I know you said that Alexander's father had already died but his mother was alive when he got married in 1899 but could this be them on the 1901 census of Scotland-
James Bryant 44 born Kirkcudbrightshire(Wood Turner)
Delia              48          Ireland
James            16          Paisley
Jessie            15            "
Mary              18            "
Mark              11          Glasgow
Old Dalmarnock Road  Glasgow

1891-
James          Bryant 33        Kirkcudbrightshire(Wood Turner)
Delia  Reilly  Bryant 36        Ireland
Alex                                     Ireland
James                                  Paisley
Jessie                                  Glasgow
Mark Gray                            Glasgow
167 Main Street Glasgow

Also on the IGI(LDS site) -
James Brien(variation on the spelling) born 29th March 1855 Girthon Kilcudbrightshire  parents  Alexander Brien and Margaret Gray

Alexander Brien married Margaret Grey on 26th September 1847 Girthon Kirkcudbrightshire.
I have gone further back with the census records and can give you the details (the surname varies slightly again)if you think this is the right family(can't find them in the 1881 but realised they may have been in Ireland)
What do you think?

You're right - Delia has a great name!

Hope this helps

Regards

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisymaisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 April 07 23:24 BST (UK) »
NEPTUNE IAM ABSOLUTELY GOBSMACKED ,YOU HAVE FOUND WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR,I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR ALL THIS THAT YOU HAVE FOUND OUT FOR ME,IT HAS BEEN VERY VERY KIND OF YOU .THE ADDRESSES MATCH UP SO ITS DEFFINATLY THE RIGHT PEOPLE..I MUST GO PRINT ALL THIS OFF NOW AND GET IT INTO MY FAMILY RECORD BOOK...
THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH NEPTUNE AND TO ALL THAT HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO REPLY TO THIS POST..
Bryant ..Co Cork
Burton.

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 07 23:58 BST (UK) »
James Gray Bryant died 1917. Details on death cert as follows:

James Gray Bryant Wood Turner  ( married to Delia Reilly) died January 15th 1917 at 490 ( OR 190)
Baltic Street, Glasgow.  aged 55

James Parents are listed as being Alexander Bryant, Wood turner  and Margaret Bryant nee Gray both deceased

cause of death Cardiac fabrular disease (possibly spelt second word wrong)

Death registered by Mary McColl daughter present

Hope that this helps a little

Best wishes

Mo

Delia Blackbird Bryant ( and yes a wonderful name)  died 27th November 1934 in 64 Marquis Street Glasgow.

Her parents are listed as being  Mark Reilly Thread Mill Labourer and Mary Reilly nee Kelly.

Cause of death Senile Myocarditis and the death was registered by Mary McColl Daughter.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi daisymaisy,

No problem. i will send you details of the other censuses tonight.

Regards

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 08:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you had this but thought would add it to this posting.

Delia Bryant died july 7th 1896 aged 23 months father James Bryant Wood Turner and Mother Delia Bryant nee Reilly. at 35 Reid Street, Glasgow.

Little Delia was born August 2 1894  at the same address

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline daisymaisy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 April 07 08:29 BST (UK) »
HI MO THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION THAT YOU HAVE FOUND OUT TOO,I REALLY AM VERY GRATEFUL TO THE KIND PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM FOR ALL THE HELP GIVEN .AS A THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS ,ON FRIDAY IAM GOING TO DONATE SOME MONEY TO OUR LOCAL CANCER RESEARCH .

NOW BEFORE I GO TO WORK I MUST GET ALL THIS INFO DOWN INTO MY BOOK...

PS ..WAS SO EXCITED ABOUT GETTING SO MUCH INFORMATION LAST NIGHT I FORGOT TO ACTUALLY SIGN OUT  ...LOL
Bryant ..Co Cork
Burton.