Author Topic: The Finger Pub dawley  (Read 7655 times)

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Finger Pub dawley
« on: Tuesday 20 March 07 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I have just discovered that my GreatGrandfather Richard Powell( born 1846 in Ironbridge)was a licenced vitualler at "The Finger". in Dawley  in 1883. Could anyone tell me if it is still standing or where i could find any history about the area. Thankyou   Chris

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
Re: The Finger Pub dawley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 19:07 GMT (UK) »
SOCIAL AND CULTURAL ACTIVITIES.
 There were at least three alehouses in 1543 and from 1590, when they harboured illegal gaming and card playing, to 1619. (fn. 32) By 1753 there were 10 licensed premises and the number fluctuated between 7 and 11 throughout the late 18th and early 19th century. (fn. 33) Among the alehouses that existed by the later 18th century were the Wicket near the parish church (later the Old Wicket as distinct from the New Wicket near St. Leonard's church), the Dun Cow at Dawley Green, and the Finger on the Wellington-Worcester turnpike. Most early 19th-century alehouses lay along the major roads in the populous central part of the parish. There were three at Dawley Bank and at least four at Dawley Green in 1817. (fn. 34) After the relaxation of licensing laws the number of taverns increased and many beerhouses were opened throughout the parish. In 1851 there were 22 taverns and 15 beerhouses and by 1879, although the number of public houses remained stable, the number of beer retailers had increased to 28. Seventeen public houses and all but two of the beer retailers were in Great Dawley; Malinslee had one beerhouse only. By the late 1970s there were 18 pubs, inns, or licensed hotels in the area of the ancient parish, about half of them in and around central Dawley. The Ironmaster was opened in Telford town centre c. 1980. (fn. 35)

From: 'Dawley: Social and cultural activities', A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11: Telford (1985), pp. 111-12. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=18089. Date accessed: 10 March 2007.

I found it mentioned in the above article.

I don't think that it is there anymore,possibly gone by 1895.

I will try to find out if the building is still there,I know that one of the main routes through Dawley is named "Finger Road"

s.g.d.

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 10:52 GMT (UK) »
On the www.old-maps.co.uk theres a finger pub near the Queens Arms which is still there, from the map I can't tell which building the finger pub is. it could be opposite or next to the Queens Arms, I live just off finger road so will go that way when i go to work in an hour and see if the building next to the Queens Arms looks if it could be a pub and I'll let you know tomorrow.
Katie
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much SGD and Katie, it is very kind of you to take the trouble to try and help me.

I have never been able to trace my grandfathers birth certificate. As i now know his brother was born at "The Finger" in 1883 it would be great to know any  history of the pub to help me discover if the family still lived there in 1885/6 when my grandfather was born.(  I HAVE 4 wrong certificates !!!!)

Anyway thanks again and hope to hear from you again.

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 07 15:53 BST (UK) »
hello again

in 1871 the inn  was named "Peter's Finger Inn" in Finger Lane, Dawley.

s.g.d.

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 07 16:40 BST (UK) »
it was still called that in 1880 and Enoch Ketley was the landlord.

by 1891 Enoch Ketley was possibly now a butcher,there is no mention of the Finger but a John Herbert was listed as a beer retailer in Finger Lane.

s.g.d.

Offline Seh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 February 15 15:22 GMT (UK) »
It's several years since the last reply, but I can tell you that the Enoch Ketley mentioned was my great grandfather and according to the 1891 census he was still running the pub. I believe he did become a butcher later as was my grandfather.

Offline catfordcrooner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 February 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a White Horse Inn on Finger Road, Dawley
Crawford
Taylor
Hurstwaite
Hayles
Dunlop