Author Topic: UHF marriages- fathers dead or alive  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
UHF marriages- fathers dead or alive
« on: Wednesday 21 March 07 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
just a general question:

The marriages on the UHF site, do they ever transcribe the "deceased" for the fathers of the couple  (within BMD time)- ie have any of you got a marriage that says that the father is deceased?

All the marriages I have off them  (amounting to 30), not one of them says deceased ( which is hard to believe - surely one of the couples said that they father was dead)  . So I'm wondering if they don't transcribe the deceased at all on any of them (?)

My next question is ; if  they aren't transcribing those details - why on earth aren't  they transcribing them ??? I need to write people off  , I need to narrow down deaths date to find their death  as much as I need other details -  it seems silly to me not to transcribe those details on the marriages

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: UHF marriages- fathers dead or alive
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Good question.

Think from the records I've looked up some clergymen wrote deceased, some just listed the father's name (whether deaad or alive) and some left a blank if the father was dead.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 07 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I've definitely had a few marriage records from UHF where the father is shown to be deceased - so far haven't come across one that was dead and wasn't listed as deceased (if you know what I mean) - best of luck with your searches
Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 07 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaylay,

You have a good question! Very few of Irish certificates would state this information--probably due to the disinterested registrar office clerks or they did not bother to ask the question at the time of registering a marriage. As for the churchmen, I do not know why they did not bother to note such information in the register books--maybe there is no space for it?

If your ancestors are farmers, you can try and look up in the Griffith's Valuations to see when the farm has been changed. That is probably when he or she died.

I am still working on two of my ancestors who were farmers. I am getting there slowly but surely!!  ;D

It is shame that many deaths were not in the burial registers as it would help in narrowing when one died. I found only one burial from this source.

Another best source is: Irish GRO indexes--it only help if one knows where the death was supposed to occur in and if the name is very common--it does not help much! Another problem is that many of us do not have access to the Indexes with exception for those who live in Ireland. You can get them at the LDS centre but you have to order each year or certain years on microfilm(s)--adding up all of them are a bit expensive than accessing to the GRO's Indexes in their research room(s)!

Hope this suggestion help a bit.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
thank you all for the replies.
Jaylay - thanks for confirming that they do seem to transcribe it .
I  think I may have to order the real certs( for  the  transcribed ones I already hold) off the gro just to check it out .

I know that all marriage certs don't say if the fathers are deceased , it's a bit of a hit or miss on that, but I find it unbelievable that not one of  all the transcribed marriage certs that I have  off the UHF says deceased, where the other couple of marriage certs I do have from the GRO says deceased, if you know what I mean
Thanks again
kind regards  :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 14:21 BST (UK) »
Good question.

Think from the records I've looked up some clergymen wrote deceased, some just listed the father's name (whether deaad or alive) and some left a blank if the father was dead.

Did any write a step father's name just to add some more confusion ???
The Quakers were very methodical so they probably wrote "deceased." 

Chris