Author Topic: Mulloughdrin, Dromara  (Read 4970 times)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mulloughdrin, Dromara
« on: Thursday 22 March 07 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone done any research in this townland?  I am researching the GRAYS and TRUESDALES in an attempt to verify my connection with them (great grandparents).  I have quite a lot of info on the families.  Rosemary
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mulloughdrin, Dromara
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
In case you missed Google, I looked up Google and found quite a few references inc your mail. Recently I have become impressed with Emerald Ancestors  www.emeraldancestors.com  and checking out North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) ie www.nifhs.org/ . The latter now has something of even great importance, they have a search engine  employed to produce genealogical searches and its good.  I am not sure if it can do topographical searches as well
Good luck onwards, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 March 07 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hello again Jim,  Thanks for replying, but I have got as far as I can with both these sites.  Just hoping that a distant relative will come out of the woodwork.  Regards, Rosemary
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 07 08:35 BST (UK) »
On the townland history PRONI leaseholders include
Result 1 Ball John Mulloughdrin D/654/A3/1H   
Result 2 Ball John Mulloughdrin D/654/A3/1H   
Result 3 Black James Mulloughdrin D/654/A3/1H   
Result 4 Black Samuel Mulloughdrin D/654/A3/1H   
Result 5 Blackwood James Mulloughdrin D/654/A3/1H   
Result 6 Blackwood James Mulloughdrin D/654/A3/1H   
Result 7 Stevenson William Mulloughdrin DOW/5/3/2 
Are there any published parish histories for Dromara parish?
There are Gray family trees in the Linenhall Library, Belfast, in their Blackwood collection, eg in volumes 7p139, vol 10p27 Glenanne, vol 11p25 Ballynacraig, vol 25Tsome note?, vol 52
However you seek living relatives, have you exhausted eg BT residential tel numbers in area?I dont know how common the surname is, but I notice there is a Truesdale entry in Campbell College Register 1999 , his parents were  living in Ormiston Crescent, Belfast. What was in my mind was writing to all of the surname if you have the nerve! Anyway just meant to be encouraging, good luck, Jim
worldwide

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 April 07 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,  That information on the Linenhall Library is very interesting.  I will keep a note of that for my next visit to Belfast.  I think  a Balackwood married a Gray in the 1800s.  I have located two wills that are in PRONI and am waiting for a reply to see if they will photocopy them for me.  Have done the phoning but people who seem interested on the phone don't do what they promise. I will have a look at the Ormiston Crescent people. I suppose not everyone is as fixated as me!  I am like a dog with a rabbit when it comes to research.  Best wishes, Rosemary

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 April 07 17:48 BST (UK) »
sounds like a sort of bull-terrier!  When looking at Blackwood MSS in linenhall dont forget to look at the Blackwood surname itself in their own trees eg Volumes 6p22 Belfast, 16N Dublin, 33, 35 loose, 51Price, 71 Memoirs 1930 & Memoirs1938, 72 Castlenavin (Coloured), 72N, 96T Blackwood  Price. If you got the Gray imtermarriage that would be exciting.   

PRONI covenant signatories are interesting, sometimes the leaseholders have other information like witnesses or relations
Onwards
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 April 07 17:54 BST (UK) »
Have you seen
some of these copies in Linen hall
 1   Centenary story of Dromara Reformed Presbyterian Church, 1874-1974 
 Hanna, Robert    Other titles by Author(s)
q767893x
 *   2 copies - Location

2   Historic buildings, groups of buildings, areas of architectural importance i 
 Brett, C. E. B., Charles Edward Bainbridge, 1928-    Other titles by Author(s)
 *   2 copies - Location

May your generations leap backwards

3   Geological Survey of Ireland = Geological Memoirs Co. Down : Memoirs relatin  Lord's Commissioners of Her Majesty's Treasury    Other titles by Author(s)
M0015638LH
 *   1 Copy: - Location

4   The Rev. W. J. Patton of Dromara 1853 - 95 : a great winner of souls 
 Thompson, Joseph    Other titles by Author(s)
v9828433

5   The Rev. W. J. Patton of Dromara 1853-95 : 'a great winner of souls' 
 Thompson, Joseph    Other titles by Author(s)
v8451481

6   A short history of First Dromara Presbyterian Church 
 McClelland, Aiken    Other titles by Author(s)
k2209419

7   A short history of the parish of Dromara, Ireland 
 Long, S. E., Samuel Ernest    Other titles by Author(s)
t3937664

8   The story of the First Dromara Presbyterian Church, 1713-1913 
 Glasgow, William G., Rev.    Other titles by Author(s)
t4166335

Finally check your other surnames in the Blackwood collection, there is another collection, the Greeves about which I know nothing.
Onwards, hang in for that information, Jim
worldwide

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 April 07 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that stuff Jim.  Just to let you all know that I found a Will listed in Emerald Ancestors, got in touch with PRONI and they have photocopied it for £5 something.  I am hoping that it might enlighten me a bit - well we can always hope!  Rosemary

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 07 20:37 BST (UK) »
The images that still brings me closest to my ancestors was my acquistion of copies of maps of my family's townland. In my case these were available via LinenHall library and were the OS 6inch to the mile for times about the1830's and then the 1860's. Sometimes called the 1st and 2nd Series.  One was able to make transparencies and spot the additions over 30 years and the reverse. I was intrigued listing each and every man made item ie all blgs and listing the topographical features eg streams and finding the valleys and hills and then looking up modern postcode findable area road or aerial maps eg Multimap you can get a space view of the same area. Do Try it. Then if you go bonkers you can acguire landlord lease maps if extant which name the occupant on the lease and so on and so on.. If the Linen Hall library cant help you, the OS for or of NI, has an office in Belfast on the Stranmillis Road.  Then you may find the family spread across acouple or more townlands so dont forget to know the neighbouring ones by name, and so it goes on.
May you enjoy, Jim
worldwide