Author Topic: Unpleasant family truths .......  (Read 5546 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unpleasant family truths .......
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 24 March 07 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
 I read the other thread but I couldn't  work out what it was exactly that you objected to; is it the fact they had a child out of wedlock, or that he wasn't there to bring up the daughter?

Erin  :)

It was the fact that it said for the mother 'his mother's maid servant'. No name , nothing! This poor woman had probably been seduced or worse and not even given a name  >:(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 24 March 07 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Exactly.  As if she were something less than human.   :(
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 25 March 07 09:29 BST (UK) »

I apologise to my Great-Grandma if my concerns are unfounded, but does anyone else think it sounds a bit odd?

Hi Erin

If I were you I would definitely be suspicious about what Great-Grandma was up to! :o :o :o  Unfortunately I don't think there is any way of proving it one way or the other.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 25 March 07 11:48 BST (UK) »
I see, Gadget, I didn't realise that's all that was put, I thought it was just your explanation of what happened.  :P
That is pretty unfair. It's a shame there were no censuses then so you could work out who she was.

Marie, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's dodgy! It's the way she didn't put people up, she put MEN up. My poor Grandma and Mum, have never suspected a thing, and I don't think the family will ever join me in wondering about it.  :-X

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 25 March 07 12:40 BST (UK) »
It all  sounds a bit iffy to me too, Erin.

Why would she have a cigarette machine in her living room  ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 25 March 07 21:33 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to be balanced and fair, so I will reiterate that the info is second hand, and I can't confirm how accurate it is. I don't know exactly what was meant by a cigarette machine, or what that would look like in the 1930s.
I have a funny feeling about it though, and I can't think of any other reason why she would put men up. My Mum reckons she was a good samaritan, but I don't really buy that.

I don't think there is any reason to be ashamed or to apologise for our ancestors actions; we had no control over them.
Slavery was a horrible thing and it's sad that it has happened, but we all have to move on. The Archbishop of York's claim that Britain should 'apologise' is ridiculous. I'm not asking for an apology from the descendants of the factory owners who abused my ancestors as children. I know the scale and brutality of slavery was a different thing entirely, but today's Britain has nothing to apologise for.

Erin

Offline lambster134

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 26 March 07 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin,
  Don't be too harsh on your great-grandmother! We are talking about a time before Government handouts and if she had space to take in lodgers which helped her bring up her family, that would make perfect sense. The 20s and 30s were very depressed times (economically) and men left their families at home and travelled long distances to find work. They couldn't have afforded hotels or flats - but a nice homely lodging with breakfast and an evening meal thrown in? The landlady could easily have had a private drawing room!
  Regarding the cigarette machines. if she was renting out rooms to labourers, then it is possible a canny salesman persuaded her to have a machine for them in exchange for a small commission..
  An alternative view!
J
Self, Everett, Davey, Trudgill, Pearson in Norfolk
Self, Mullins in London
Tallack, Tonkin, Stribley in Cornwall
Tallack in Hampshire

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 26 March 07 19:26 BST (UK) »
I hope you're right, J! ;D

As MarieC said, we'll never know, but I'm sure my family would be much happier with your theory than with mine!

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 26 March 07 19:48 BST (UK) »
This thread and the references to lodgers and a cigarette machine are making me feel very old.

In the years of my youth, housing was at a premium. Many couples lived for years with their families because there were very few alternatives. Men who had to work away from home shared domestic accommodation where they could find it and spare bedrooms were often used for lodgers or boarders who needed housing. One has only to look at the census to see that very modest houses often accommodated extra people.

As for the cigarette machine--it was probably just the gadget which was used to make cigarettes from loose tobacco and papers and many people had those in their homes. It was a belt on rollers upon which one laid a piece of cigarette paper, put tobacco along it and then rolled the result to compress the tobacco with some uniformity before licking the glue on the paper and sealing it. Some of them were quite long and the result was then cut into cigarette lengths. In these days of healthy living and non smoking it is hard to imagine that smoking was not considered the vice it is today but it was always a place from which the government could extract taxes and smokers preferred to find the best way to afford their habit. Loose tobacco and papers were cheaper than "tailor mades."

Erin, you may be seeing ghosts which simply do not exist.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall