Author Topic: MOORE LIVERPOOL  (Read 640 times)

Offline Skeandhu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MOORE LIVERPOOL
« on: Thursday 22 March 07 20:36 GMT (UK) »
HELLO THERE!  CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE?   MY GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER THOMAS MOORE MARRIED MY GREAT GREAT GRANDMOTHER, SARAH BOWDEN, IN MANCHESTER IN 1885.  THEY THEN MOVED TO CHESHIRE WHERE THEY HAD 2 CHILDREN, HANNAH IN 1886 AND THOMAS IN 1892.  ON BOTH THE CHILDREN'S BIRTH CERTIFICATES, THOMAS STATES THAT HE IS "OF LIVERPOOL".  HE ALSO SAYS THAT HIS FATHER IS NAMED MATTHEW (ON HIS MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE) AND I BELIEVE MATTHEW TO BE IRISH.  THOMAS WOULD HAVE BEEN BORN C. 1858.  I AM WONDERING, ARE THERE ANY ON LINE RESOURCES/LIVERPOOL BAPTISMS THAT MAY CONFIRM THIS?  WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: MOORE LIVERPOOL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 07 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

MY GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER THOMAS MOORE MARRIED MY GREAT GREAT GRANDMOTHER, SARAH BOWDEN, IN MANCHESTER IN 1885   Per the full GRO index -  there is no Moore/Bowden marriage in 1885.  One Sarah Bowden in Cardiff in the March qtr and 3 in the December quarter - all in M'chester but no match to a Moore 

Can you clarify date of marriage

"ON BOTH THE CHILDREN'S BIRTH CERTIFICATES, THOMAS STATES THAT HE IS "OF LIVERPOOL".  Just as a comment - it is quite unusual to see a birthplace entered for a father on a childs birth cert.  I have birth certs from the 1840's to the 1900's and they all just show fathers name and occupation

There is no Thomas Moore on the 1861/1871 in an 1858 birth range with a father Matthew

I'm having problems finding this family on the 1891/1901 census to check Thomas's birthplace.  The only Hannah born 1886(ish) in Cheshire on the 1891 census was Hannah Ardena Moors mother Sarah who was single.  There is no Hannah Moore b Cheshire 1884-1888 on the 1901 census in any county and although there are several Thomas Moore's b Cheshire none match to a Thomas & Sarah.  One is with grandparents whose surname is Williamson but the mothers name is Mary

What part of Cheshire is shown on both the childrens birth certs and what was Thomas's occupation on his marriage cert

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Skeandhu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 07 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, Yes.......I am having great difficulty in finding them anywhere for some strange reason!  Thomas was a laborer & the marriage took place at St. Chad's RC Church in Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester.  Their Daughter, Hannah, was born in April 1886 at Nantwich Union Workhouse and again, Thomas is shown on her birth certificate as "Of Liverpool"!!!!  I am presuming that my Gt. Grandmother was in the workhouse to give birth to Hannah because Thomas's address (again on the cert) is shown as Hawk Street, Sandbach - 13 miles from Nantwich.  I have since found that Hawk Street was an area of poverty stricken tenements attached to a Dyeworks.  They housed (mainly) Irish immigrants.  I should also add that on Thomas and Sarah's wedding cert, they are both shown as living at 10. Crown Lane.  I am told that this was part of Manchester's notorious 'Angel Meadow'.......again an area housing thousands of Irish Immigrants.  I do know that Sarah was born in Salford in 1856 to Owen Bowden (Boilermaker) and Mary Malone but after her marriage to Thomas, she doesn't appear on any census apart from the 1901 when she lives (as Sarah Moores) with Hannah and Thomas Jnr. (born Sept 1892) in Macclesfield.  She is a 'widow' but a family member once said that they were told that Thomas had joined a ship but never returned.  This must have been in between 1892 and 1901. 
I still can't understand why Thomas stresses the "of Liverpool" bit!?
I have checked all the name variations for each census year and fully expected to find them all in Macclesfield in 1891 since I have a certificate for Thomas Jnr. who, as I say was born there in September 1892. 
SO..you see, they are a big mystery. ???
What do you think?
Best wishes, Ske

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 07 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Thomas Moore/Sarah Bowden marriage is in the GRO June Qtr 1885, Manchester  8d  410. Sarah's surname is spelt BODEN.

Offline Skeandhu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 07 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you so much for that reference.  Ske ;D