Author Topic: Master Mariners  (Read 25200 times)

Offline Crisrbow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Master Mariners
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 April 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
thanks for looking liz, will keep looking he will turn up one day, I'm sure. Will keep a look out fot Nathaniel as well

Cris
Bissett, Budd, Fife. Cook., Keen, Wilson, Sidaway Co.Durham, Vasey, Sunderland., Riddell, Durham.Sidaway Rowley Regis, StaffsBadger, Lee, Shropshire, Staffs, Durham
Latue, Durham, Booth , Durham and London

Offline Crisrbow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 April 07 21:20 BST (UK) »
Just read your message as well mercel!

Don't think Benjamin and Thomas are mine, Alphonso only had one son, Alphonso junior and he died before he was a year old.However Alphonso had brothers but so far I've not researched them. Have made a note of your names as well. If we find just one name between us that would be something wouldn't it?

And just seen another message from madpants- Haven't seen the Radius at all - but now I think I have to check out Alphonso's brothers. The family moved to Sunderland from Wisbech in Cambridgeshire.

Must try and find time to search further

Cris

Bissett, Budd, Fife. Cook., Keen, Wilson, Sidaway Co.Durham, Vasey, Sunderland., Riddell, Durham.Sidaway Rowley Regis, StaffsBadger, Lee, Shropshire, Staffs, Durham

Offline gayze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 April 07 02:51 BST (UK) »
Can I but in and Ask for a lookout for two mariners please.

Hugh Reynolds born Manchester, Lancashire  abt 1856,

and Dennis Finnigan, born Drogheda Ireland abt 1856.
Thanks
Gay
Campbell, Bryce~. Lks:
Bryce; Meikle ~Midlthn
Selby  ~  Leic.
Mayfield; Hewerdine ~Lincs.& Notts
Reynolds..~  Lancs
 Cahill; Harvey ~ Ireland
Habermann;  ~ Germany

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 April 07 10:16 BST (UK) »
I recently had sight of a copy of the Death Certificate for Johnson Thompson of 1 South Cliff, Roker, Sunderland who died on 30th January 1897 aged 64, Master Mariner.

I can provide further information to anyone who is interested.

Wearsider.
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 April 07 10:50 BST (UK) »
How do any of you know that your ancestors were Master Mariners?    According to census, marriage and death certificates, some of my ancestors varied between master mariners, marine engineers, dock workers and usually in that order!  So demotion rather than promotion.

Also where can one find a list of trawlermen/fishermen?  Some of my ancestors were trawlermen, but I have only found information about one of them who died at sea.  One other may have died at sea - no other information for him.

Liz

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 April 07 11:20 BST (UK) »
With my John Edmonds there is no doubt he was a master MAriner

I have several ships quarterly returns (from Sussex record office) and crew lists for ships he sailed - and he is clearly recorded as the Master of the ships.

From as early as 1774 masters or owners of merchant ships were requird to keep Muster Rolls giving deatils of the crew. But following the 1835 Merchant Shipping Act the Master of every ship over 80 tons was required to send to the Regostrar of Shipping the written agreement of every member of the crew, laying down wages, voyages to be made, duties of the crew, and provisions ot be provided. The Master was also required to make a return every half year to the Shipping Master at the home port (in my case Littlehampton) giving details of voyages made in the prevuoos 6 months, crew employed, etc.
These had to be filed within 21 days of end of June and Dec.
Now, few of these have survived and what have are scattered and difficult to trace. The first place to trry is the Local record Office, but I understand Kew and the Maritime Museum at Greenwich may be other places to try.
From 1823 all ships over 80 tons had to carry a quota of apprentices , th the same Merchant ShippingAct required Apprenticeship iondentures to be filed with the Registrar General of Shipping.  Again very few of these documents survive - but you may be lucky! I have a copy of the Apprenticeship indentue entries for two ancestors who went to sea (there are several in my tree, though only one MAster mAriner) but sadly they are both  annotated 'Drowned'.
Re the second of these we found out a lot about the incident from a very helpful person at Greenwich - It was a good few years ago and I think we had to make an appointment to go there rather than it being generally open, but my memory is a bit vague. But they were very helpful and found an article describing the incidnet in which the 'Remembrance' on which my rellie was acabin boy, collided with 'the Kelloe' a few miles off Flamborough Head and how they limped to shore only to discover the cabin boy was missing, so presumed to have fallen over board.

So - sorry this is long, you may not actually be interested - but the moral is to keep looking, try every everything and everywhere, and it is amazing what you can come up with! For every hundred or more ideas you follow up that get nowhere, there will be one that produces results and that make sit all worthwhile! Well, that's been the policy of my brother and I over about 15 years!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crisrbow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 April 07 11:29 BST (UK) »
my rellie, Alphonso began as a seaman apprentice, then was described as a seaman, Sea Captain then Master Mariner, but so far I've find no actual proof. Finding time to do more research is a bit difficult now - work is just so busy but am not giving up, just doing a little at a time. Of course they could say anything on a census couldn't they? Incidentally I have another rellie described as a fireman on a ship (i have the name of ship somewhere). Would it be possible to trace him?

Cris

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 April 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
In 1845 the Board of Trade instituted a system of exams of competancy for men becoming Master and MAtes, initially only for foreign going ships, but from 1854 they became compulsorary even for coastal trade.
So, in theory, all Master MAriners should have a certificate number after that date.
My 'John' who was a Master Mariner (well, as I said he was master on a number of voyages) never seemed to have a certificate number, so I guess he 'qualified' before 1854 - but I reckon it was all very informal before then as to who called themselves a Master and who ddint!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 April 07 11:44 BST (UK) »
Nathaniel on all census' I can find him on is down as a 'Master Mariner' I have no reason to doubt that.  :)
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L