Author Topic: HOWELL / PURCHASE (Phillips) family  (Read 866 times)

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HOWELL / PURCHASE (Phillips) family
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 11:11 BST (UK) »
I have William Howell born c1820 London, England and his wife Caroline Eliza Smith born c1822, Westminster, London.  Known children: William c1846, Alfred c1852, Jane, Alice, Elizabeth, Henry and Mary who was born c1865.  The 1881 census shows a granddaughter Daisy Alice P Howell aged 4 born Southwark.

I know nothing about the marriages of any with the exception of Mary who first married William Henry Phillips 1883 at St Saviour, Surrey.  They lived in Rotherhithe Surrey and had 2 girls.  Mary Jane Rosetta (Polly) Phillips 1884 and Ethel (no other names known) Phillips 1886.  William died and Mary Phillips nee Howell married Edward George Purchase.  They had 2 children, May Winifred Purchase 1890, St Olave's (Rotherhithe), Surrey and Eric Edward Purchase.

I have been able to find the descendants of Polly, however, Ethel has proved much harder.  Information on her is currently sparse.  I have no idea who she married, which doesn't help, though I know she had one child only, a daughter, Joyce.  It seems that her husband was a cinema worker and they lived in Saffron Waldon.  I had a chat with Polly's daughter in law once I had refound the family but she had forgotten many things and couldn't remember who Ethel had married though she remembered going to visit her in Saffron Waldon.

The family, Edward, his wife Mary and the 4 children were later found in Walthamstow, Essex.

I have a death certificate for Mary which shows her sister E. Evans as being present at the time of death.  I suspect that might be Elizabeth Howell.

Does any of this connect with other Howell families?
KILLEY, MULCARE, FAIRCLOUGH, GRIFFITH, BREADNER, Lancashire, England.
BROOKS, COLE, PURCHASE, MAY, LITTELL, HOWELL, MULCARE, CANE, East London, England.
GODDARD, Saffron Walden, Essex
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex
WALKINSHAW, Walthamstow, Essex
BEANEY, Walthamstow, Essex

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: HOWELL / PURCHASE (Phillips) family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 07 12:41 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage

William Anthony HOWELL
Caroline Eliza SMITH

Sep qtr
Strand
Vol 1
Page 353
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 07 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you... the marriage date fits to about when I believed they might be married.
BROOKS, COLE, PURCHASE, MAY, LITTELL, HOWELL, MULCARE, CANE, East London, England.
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex

Offline Shizara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 07 12:47 BST (UK) »
Forgot to put his middle name in... he is William Anthony Howell though known as Anthony... which makes the reference even more valid. 
RAYMENT, Epping, Essex