Author Topic: Parish Record. Marriage EDDY/SEMMONS  (Read 1899 times)

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Record. Marriage EDDY/SEMMONS
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 12:41 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage in incomplete BMD's for Richard Eddy/ Bessie Semmons, first qtr 1897, Redruth.

I would like to know the fathers names but can't find a Parish Record.

Can anyone help please.

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Record. Marriage Eddy/Semmons
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 07 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambers

There is a Richard Eddy, wife Bessie on the 1901 census.  He was born in St Just and aged 28.  He was a tin miner living at Botallack.

If you look on http://west-penwith.org.uk you will see a baptism record for Richard Eddy, son of Richard and Sarah Eddy of Trewellard on 22 August 1871 in the parish of Pendeen.  YOu may find other entries on this site - it is great!

Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 07 13:42 BST (UK) »
Forgot about poor Bessie - she was born in St Just too and was 24 in1901.  I think she was probably Semmens but the only one who I have found and could be her was Eliza Jane, baptised on 12 April 1872 daughter of John and Mary Ann of Bojewyan (Pendeen Parish)  You may be lucky and find something more likely on the site I gave in my last post.

Good luck
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 07 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

Thank you for the information....I am still ::) trying to break down a brickwall with the Eddy family.

I really needed to see the Parish Record of Richard Eddy and Bessie Semmens married 1897 to find out the name of Richard Parents.
Basically, I think I am connected to Richard Eddy and Sarah Trembath through Richard b1871 but my Richard married Elizabeth Jane Thomas in 1898. Other Gedcom's are using Richard married to Bessie in 1897 as the son of Richard and Sarah.
My Richard b1871 is not with his wife and son on the 1901 census (gold Miner), she is at her mothers in Tregseal.

I have have searched all the Parish Registers that I know of to either count or discount this couple but still can't find them. ???

Regards Ambers
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.

Offline cornish maid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 07 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambers,

Don't know if I've read this right, but Bessie was quite often used as a shortened form of Elizabeth.  I have a Bessie who was christened as Elizabeth, then also known as Betsey and Lizzie. 

Also, I don't know whre you are located, but could you order the marriage certificate to confirm or disprove this?  I usually order from the Registrar in the locality where the marriage took place, giving them all the details I know.  They then ring me if things don't quite add up, which means I don't waste money (which my hubbie doesn't know I spend  ;)) on wrong certificates.

Good luck and hope you find your answer.  :)
Bex

Ah, I read it wrong didn't I.  Will have a look on the bmd a min and see if I can shed any light on it. 

Offline cornish maid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 00:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry Ambers, can't find anything at the moment.  It looks like the marriage certificate may be the only way to go. 

By the way, have you enquired as to what proof your contacts have of parentage, lineage, etc?  They may have just put a likely marriage in, or they may have purchased b, m and d certificates all the way back through the line as confirmation.  It may be worth asking.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Happy hunting
Bex

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Bex,

Trouble is Bex, I don't know who my gggrandparents were ::), I am doing all by process of elimination, and I get back each time to Richard and Sarah being my rellies.

I am still waiting for other searches to be completed by the CRO like even trying to compare signatures of Matthew Eddy, Richard's brother. when he was a Witness at my ggreat aunts marriage with hopefully ??? correct marriage for himself.

I hoped to find the Parish Record for Bessie and Richard (Redruth),  as Richard fathers name and occupation might be the answer to the problem..... providing he is not a miner. ::)

I do know that my Richard b1871 died in Trewellard 1902, he also married in St Just 1898 and my grandfather was born 1899 Tregeseal, so I can't see the Redruth connection is right.......just sooooooo many Richard eddy's ::)

;D As for hubby....ssssh, your secret is safe with me ;D ;D ;D

Regards Ambers

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 00:30 BST (UK) »
We crossed posts...no one has offered any proof and I think they just picked that Richard Eddy because the dates looked good.

But as he's my direct line, and there are only two of us left of the Eddy's family...I have got to get it right with proof.

Regards ambers

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 April 07 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bex,

The Will has come through for Richard Eddy 1871-d1902,
son of Sarah and Richard Eddy.

Looks like we are all wrong with our re-search as Richard left something to each sibling, with the remainder going to Sarah (Trembath) Eddy.
I assume in those days he would have to have provided for his wife and children if he had any.....am I right?

I know the time period my Richard died because his daughter was born in the March 1903,and he was deceased by then so was alive mid 1902.

I guess bad luck on my part to find two Richard Eddy's born the same year, died the same year, and were both Gold Miners ???
No other family matches the details I have from his marriage certificate or census.....

No news from CRO with copy signatures yet.

Ambers (very dissappointed)