Author Topic: Baptism of Elizabeth BANKS B abt 1820 in Wiltshire  (Read 3954 times)

Offline kenelms

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Baptism of Elizabeth BANKS B abt 1820 in Wiltshire
« on: Monday 26 March 07 17:40 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the baptism of Elizabeth Banks who was I believe the unmarried mother of my family trace-VIRTUE ELMS . Virtue's birth certificate shows Elizabeth Banks has her mother .Virtue was born in 1842 at Lacock [Chippenham district]. I have found on 1851 Virtue with her mother [but Elizabeth was then a Bromham having married Christopher Bromham in 1844. But Christopher died in 1848. I also know that Elizabeth again remarried at a later date ,a William Taylor who appears as a lodger on the 1851 census. Elizabeth is shown as Lacock born.

Any information would be welcomed of Elizabeth and her parents. Thankyou

Offline kd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Elizabeth Banks B abt 1820 in Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 07 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
On Family search there is an Eliza Banks Christened 21 May 1820 Laycock her mother was Ann Banks no fathers name .
kd
Jenkins
Morris
knowles
Coleman

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 07 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

The actual Lacock Parish Record for baptism states.......

21 May 1820, Eliza, illegitimate daughter of Ann Banks, lewd and disorderly woman.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 07 14:10 BST (UK) »
Oh I forgot.........I looked for a baptism for Ann Banks in Lacock but didn't find one.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline kenelms

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 April 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the information. It makes interesting reading. Bit of a surprise that comments like this were written into the records. There is an Elizabeth Banks at Corsham and another at Melksham who could be possibles--but this looks the best fit I think. Thanks again

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 April 07 10:43 BST (UK) »
It varies from parish to parish.   Some vicars make no comment at all, the majority just mention the fact of illegitimacy, while others make further comments.   In a few instances attemps were obviously made to discover the alleged father, often married men, and they were named as well.   You just never can tell.
Dave

Offline kenelms

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 April 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
Again, many thanks. In passing, can you find anything  from your baptism sources of information on James Elms[could be splelt ELMES] born about 1775 in Wiltshire around Chippenham/Corsham/Melksham areas. He was father of Robert Elms[Elmes] b about 1805 at Lacock. I can't find anything which shows them together.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Elizabeth BANKS B abt 1820 in Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 March 16 13:48 BST (UK) »
I know these postings are from long ago but I am a direct decedent of the Banks and associated families of Lacock Witshire. I have inherited many threads and an extensive family tree. I am willing to share information but you will need to check it as although I have full faith in its origins ,I didn't research it all. It is the culmination of seventy years work.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Elizabeth BANKS B abt 1820 in Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
I just joined RootsChat and came across your post. 

I am researching my Jones and Banks lines in Wiltshire.  William Jones married Sarah Banks in Chippenham in 1821.  They had a daughter, Sarah, and three sons, Henry Thomas Jones, William Solomon Bank Jones and David Abdie Jackson Jones (my great-grandfather).  The parents died in 1836 in Chippenham and the boys were sent to a workhouse in Lacock.  All three eventually emigrated to the USA.

Does any of this sound familiar to you?

Thanks,
Bryce
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE