Author Topic: 1891 / 1901 census  (Read 3067 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1891 / 1901 census
« on: Thursday 29 March 07 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am still trying to discover the name of my great grandfather's wife.  He was a John SMITH and moved around Yorkshire, thus causing no end of problems!!

In 1881 he was living with his wife Hannah and son and daughter in Cleckheaton.

In 1891 him and his family were living in Hull, but not his daughter. I had thought she probably had died, but if she had not, and was just living somewhere else, I could maybe track her down. I haven't been able to find a birth or death reference for her.

I wondered if someone could look on the 1891 census, and maybe the 1901 and see if she is anywhere to be found.

She is Cicely (Cecily, Celia) SMITH born in Sheffield 1878.
I wonder if she was in service or livingwith other members of he family.

Thank You
Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 / 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 07 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill
Could this be Cicely in 1901?
RG13/4108 folio 35 page 4
131 Bradford Road North, Huddersfield

SMITH
John/head/widow/78/living on own means/Doncaster
Edward P/son/single/36/saddler/Huddersfield
Mary E/dau/single/34/dressmaker/Huddersfield
Cicely/grandau/single/22/dressmaker/Sheffield

freebmd has a birth, June 1/4 1879 Ecclesall B district for a Cicely Ellen P Smith. maybe a possiblity?

Bee :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 07 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill
I think you have a family that have been rather economical with the truth :o ::)

1891 RG12/3570 folio 74 page 8
131 Bradford Road North, Huddersfield

SMITH
John/head/mar/64/joiner/Lincolnshire Missen
Cicely/wife/mar/64/Yorkshire Snape
Edward/son/single/26/saddler/N Wales LLandudno
Mary E/dau/single/24/Professor of Music/London Shepherds Bush
Cicely/grandau/single/15/New York

good luck
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 07 10:29 BST (UK) »
YES! YES! YES!
Thank you so much. I have not been able to trace this John Smith (my g g grandfather)in the 1901. The 1881 states he was born in Misson , Notts; the 1871 in Huddersfield; the 1861 in Garthorpe, Yorks and the 1851 in Misson !!! But they are definately the self same family.

I have checked the birth reference for Cicely Ellen P Smith that you mention. Although date and place appear correct, it is not my Cicely, unfortunately. Very unfortunately, as there appears to be no other references that could be her! I'll have to see if I can find a marriage for her.
I wonder if she was with her grandfather in 1891 and why.

Thank you again,
Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 07 10:34 BST (UK) »
From Professor of Music to a dressmaker !!!
Bit of a come down isn't it??

As if Smiths aren't difficult enough to trace, they move their places of birth wherever the fancy takes them!!!

At least I know we have a creative family!!!!

Thank you
GIll

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 07 10:38 BST (UK) »

I wonder if she was with her grandfather in 1891 and why.

Thank you again,
Gill

;D check back to my second post ;)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 March 07 10:42 BST (UK) »

At least I know we have a creative family!!!!

Creative with what they told the enumerator :D

Bee