Author Topic: Wallaces in Fife  (Read 4499 times)

Offline staykalm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wallaces in Fife
« on: Sunday 28 November 04 23:16 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any info regarding Robert Wallace b. 1837 Dalgety, Fife. Scotland married Ann? b. 1847 Sheerness, Kent.
Children:
Robert Wallace jr b 1862 Woolwich, Kent  married Elizabeth?????
William Newcastle Wallace b.1865 New Zealand d 1924 Sheerness, Kent married Emma Foreman b 1865 Sheerness, Kent d 1942 Sheerness, Kent
Frederick Wallace, b 1870 Singapore.
Parents:
Andrew Wallace b 1805? Dalgety, Fife. Scotland married Margaret Paterson (possibly?) had at least 8 children.  ???
Think Andrew and Robert were Coal Minors?
Any info greatly appreciated.
Wallace, Longhurst, Batkin and Ryles

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wallaces in Fife
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 December 04 11:46 GMT (UK) »
The IGI has Andrew Wallace m Margaret Paterson
03 APR 1824   Aberdour, Fife, Scotland  - which is about 3 miles from Dalgety.
There are a number of children born to this couple - check batch no C114224
If this is your family, Robert is listed as born
20 FEB 1836   Dalgety, Fife, Scotland

Pleased to see there is a Grizel in the family - My Fife family have a number of them - I hadn't seen the name before - I gather it was often changed to Grace.

No sign of Andrew's birth in the Dalgety batch - perhaps he was christened in a nearby parish. There are a number of extracted entries 1802-1807 in nearby parishes.

There is a marriage for a Robert Wallace in the Kent marriage index for 1862
http://extranet3.kent.gov.uk/sp/rois/marriagesearch.cfm
This index doesn't provide the spouse name - or allow a lookup without a surname.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline staykalm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 December 04 12:46 GMT (UK) »
The IGI has Andrew Wallace m Margaret Paterson
03 APR 1824   Aberdour, Fife, Scotland  - which is about 3 miles from Dalgety.
There are a number of children born to this couple - check batch no C114224
If this is your family, Robert is listed as born
20 FEB 1836   Dalgety, Fife, Scotland

Pleased to see there is a Grizel in the family - My Fife family have a number of them - I hadn't seen the name before - I gather it was often changed to Grace.

No sign of Andrew's birth in the Dalgety batch - perhaps he was christened in a nearby parish. There are a number of extracted entries 1802-1807 in nearby parishes.

There is a marriage for a Robert Wallace in the Kent marriage index for 1862
http://extranet3.kent.gov.uk/sp/rois/marriagesearch.cfm
This index doesn't provide the spouse name - or allow a lookup without a surname.

Trish

Thanks Trish,

Yes this is my family, sorry for sounding dumb but where would I find the info for the "batch no C114224"? I am rather newish to genealogy I have been finding most of my info on a hit and miss method  ::)

You have confirmed my Andrew marrying Margaret Paterson though  8)

Thanks again
Karen
Wallace, Longhurst, Batkin and Ryles

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 December 04 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen

If you go to the LDS site & select the IGI
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Bottom left of the screen is the "Batch number item". Put your batch number in here and you can then add as little (or as much) as you desire - you do need to select "British Isles" in the region. - so if you put Andrew Wallace in the father and Margaret Paterson - in mother & then search, you will get all the children in that batch born to those 2 folk. If you simply put Wallace in the surname item you will get every Wallace in the batch.

Check some of the help on the Family Search site - it explains alot about what is available.

NB. The IGI has "extracted" and "submitted" entries - your family has a number of both. The extracted are direct from Church records and very reliable. The submitted are entries from other folk, presumably searching for the same families. They are only as good as the reasearch done - an unknown quantity.

Good luck with the searching

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk